Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

300 million dollar payroll

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
How can the Dodgers have the highest payroll in baseball history and have that bullpen? If they don't win the world series, and I doubt they will, does anyone lose their job? You can buy a division title but not a world series

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I've really not heard many say bad things about their spending, but I def have been questioning it for a while. I somehow thing Magic is helping them get a pass because of the respect he has. When I look at the purchase price of the team (yes I know TV money), but when it was 500-700 million IIRC higher than the next highest bid, they have been spending wo much thought from the start.

Ryan

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
How can the Dodgers have the highest payroll in baseball history and have that bullpen?

Obviously some people in the Dodgers bullpen aren't performing to the stats the Dodger front office either projected for them or analyzed sabermetrically so they are being overpaid for underperforming.

If they don't win the world series, and I doubt they will, does anyone lose their job? You can buy a division title but not a world series

I don't think anyone in the front office will (since it's season 1 for most of them) but I do think the moves made in the last few days with coaches are to put a little heat on Mattingly's *** to perform better as a manager and I think Mattingly will be gone when the Dodgers fail to advance past the NLDS. The Dodgers performance against playoff caliber teams makes me think the Dodgers will make the playoffs but won't go to the NLCS.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom

I know I sound like a stupid, whiny, spoiled brat Cardinals fan here, but if they don't win the World Series this year it won't be the players fault, or the managers fault.

It will be John Mozeliak's fault for not doing enough at the trade deadline to help the team where it needed help the most. And that's the offense. They added Brandon Moss, who sucks donkeys, but can play 1B and OF, so most fans are not throwing a fit about his acquisition. I am not one of them, I hate it.

They added Jonathon Broxton to the bullpen, and he is TERRIBLE. And they got Steve Cishek for the bullpen as well. My jury is still out on him.

Honestly, with all the injuries that the Cardinals have had to endure though this season, it is a wonder that they're doing so well. They really shouldn't be. I'm afraid that they're playing over their heads, and when the playoffs arrive they will exit early.

It'll be on Mo too, in my mind. He didn't do enough.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
So if the players goes 0-4 with 3 strikeouts and the closer blows the save, and the batters is batting .204, thats the managers fault???

yes, a large percent is the managers fault. Maybe the manager is over-using or mis-using the bullpen in general. Maybe the 0x4, 3K player shouldn't be in the lineup just because of his name or reputation if there is someone who might get the job done on that given day. Maybe the closer should be removed from the closers role and let someone else try if the closer has been shaky or blowing a lot of saves in the previous few games. If a batter is batting .204, maybe the manager is not pulling the right string to motivate that player or maybe that player is a AAAA player and needs to go back to Triple-A if he has options to earn a chance to return to the big leagues after working on whatever needs worked on.

People write off the managers, I say managers have some things they can do to try to increase the odds of getting an athlete to perform to expectations or turn the outcome of the game to be favorable.

EDIT: wouldn't it be nice to come up with or have a sabermetric for manager's performance? For example, I wonder how many games the Cubs win (or lose) due to Maddon compared to if the Cubs had a different manager. i.e. Does Maddon's bullpen use, lineup personnel selection, lineup order selection, late game pinch-hitting/def replacement decision making win the Cubs more games than if someone else was managing or lose more games than if someone else was managing?

Last edited:

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
yes, a large percent is the managers fault. Maybe the manager is over-using or mis-using the bullpen in general. Maybe the 0x4, 3K player shouldn't be in the lineup just because of his name or reputation if there is someone who might get the job done on that given day. Maybe the closer should be removed from the closers role and let someone else try if the closer has been shaky or blowing a lot of saves in the previous few games. If a batter is batting .204, maybe the manager is not pulling the right string to motivate that player or maybe that player is a AAAA player and needs to go back to Triple-A if he has options to earn a chance to return to the big leagues after working on whatever needs worked on.

People write off the managers, I say managers have some things they can do to try to increase the odds of getting an athlete to perform to expectations or turn the outcome of the game to be favorable.

EDIT: wouldn't it be nice to come up with or have a sabermetric for manager's performance? For example, I wonder how many games the Cubs win (or lose) due to Maddon compared to if the Cubs had a different manager. i.e. Does Maddon's bullpen use, lineup personnel selection, lineup order selection, late game pinch-hitting/def replacement decision making win the Cubs more games than if someone else was managing or lose more games than if someone else was managing?

I think if managers had a WAR Bochy would lead it

Members online