Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why did people like DLP so much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I know I'm treading on sacred ground here, but why did everyone like DLP so much? [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I loved Donruss back in the 90's when Pinnacle owned them. Great designs, fun insert sets, decent price point, etc. [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]In my opinion, they went to hell when Playoff bought them and restarted the D/L lines in '01. Playoff had a history of atrocious designs throughout their football products. I can't think of a single product in either football or baseball where I look at the design and think "classic" or "beautiful." Usually, my initial reactions were "atrocious," "cluttered," or "who let a Ritalin-fueled 9 year old play with the graphic design program?"[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]From 2001-2005, nearly every parallel in nearly every set was holographic foilboard. I like holographic foilboard, and I also like pizza. I don't like either as when they're the only option offered to me. [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]They're responsible for ushering in the sticker auto phenomenon. In 2001, all Topps and UD products were on-card (Fleer had some trapped Sweet Spot-type autos, but they were signed after the card was put together). By 2003, damn near every set had sticker autos. If there's one thing card companies are good at, it's following suit and cutting production costs. You can't tell me that they didn't follow DLP's lead, because they had no reference point for stickers before '01. [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Sure, they did game used well. When they lost their license in 2005, I can understand why GU collectors were pissed. But that was a decade ago. GU isn't what it was, and it's no longer a major selling point (at least in baseball). I still collect GU, especially from that era, but I have very few DLP cards in my collection because they're ugly. [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
spc8qs.jpg
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]The Authentic Game Used logo is bigger than his head. The 53 is bigger than his head. The Prime Patches logo is bigger than his head. The Phillies logo is bigger than his head. His own name is bigger than his head. There's so much white it looks like a ski slope. This is not an attractive card. [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
wbez3a.jpg
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Here's another gem from everyone's favorite, Absolute. The Absolute logo is bigger than his head. The Marks Of Fame (which I would think implied an autograph, but whatever) is bigger than his head. The White Sox logo is bigger than his head. The OTHER White Sox script (why exactly was this necessary?) is bigger than his head. The rest of the design looks like a Limp Bizkit video threw up. This is also not an attractive card. [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I remember the uproar when Panini bought them. They were going to hell because Panini had previously only produced stickers. Panini took them in the exact same direction they were going in before - too much white, too much foil, too cluttered and busy designs, yada yada. I'm sure there's more BS with redemptions, QC, etc. But the dumb "space age" designs have been pretty consistent since they were reintroduced. [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I laugh every time I see people complain about the lack of logos. While it's distracting, it's no more distracting than the actual horrible designs[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Why do people have such a soft spot for this stuff? Nostalgia is a helluva drug. [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Some reasons...

1) There boxes gave more hits than competitors on average.
2) Player collectors like parallels
3) Nice patch swatches
4) Better player selection than Topps
5) Nice HOF selection of GU
6) Put pictures of GU items on back of cards from 2001-2004
7) Had some exclusive players
8) Better return on investment than many Topps/UD/Pacific/Fleer boxes
9) Low numbered parallels
10) Hit some ABSOLUTE homeruns, like product of the decade 2005 Absolute

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
It was licensed, with logo's . I would rather have that then the way it is now with Panini and such. JMO.

Image%205_zpskxvgo9pu.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Donruss Elite was awesome. No one can deny that. Especially 2001 and 2004.

You'll get no argument here! And LCM was awesome as well. Foil board wasn't anything Topps doesn't do with refractors. For $65ish a box you got great value, guaranteed some low numbered stuff, and a chance at monster legends. Player selection was more varied and I just liked their designs more than what Topps was doing at the time. Upper Deck had some greats set in that era as well but usually seemed to have fewer hits and higher price point

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
The two examples given are from sets focused on game used. And the heads are the same size or bigger than any other card that's an action shot.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
You'll get no argument here! And LCM was awesome as well. Foil board wasn't anything Topps doesn't do with refractors. For $65ish a box you got great value, guaranteed some low numbered stuff, and a chance at monster legends. Player selection was more varied and I just liked their designs more than what Topps was doing at the time. Upper Deck had some greats set in that era as well but usually seemed to have fewer hits and higher price point

Agree with all of this - I don't think I would be as much into collecting as I was if it wasn't for DLP. Topps just wasn't doing anything interesting at the time (and frankly, still really aren't). Much more selection from DLP, both product-wise and checklist/player selection-wise. Leaf Certified will be forever my favorite set.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I know I liked the relic dump they did in the mid-2000's when it appeared they were coming to the end of the line for the company making baseball products. Other than the previously mentioned more hits per reasonably affordable box (I'm trying to recall which product it was that there were like 8 hits per affordable box (EDIT: 2005 Donruss Champions), there were lots of nice patch and other unique relic pieces and they are still very affordable even today when bought as singles. I also liked 2005 Absolute Memorabilia in the only box I opened and I was never able to buy more at reasonable pricing because the prices skyrocketed as the supply dried up.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
2005 DLP products were the heyday of my collecting years. Those products were affordable and a blast to bust.

It's a shame what the Leaf name has turned into.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I agree some of the designs (including many in 2005 absolute) were very simple (and IMO not too appealing). But the GU stuff was unsurpassed, the images of the GU on the back was awesome and they had some sets like Donruss Classics that had some of the most creative themes and ideas in modern cardboard history IMO.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I must, without equivocation, express my disappointment with this thread.

No Cardcop references? :)

I enjoyed DLP even though I am more of a vintage collector. While I will buy Leaf products for my Nate Colbert and George Uhle collections, the quality of the Leaf brand does seem to have slipped over the years.

Members online