Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Waited 18 years for this, and I'm utterly disappointed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Ever since 1997 Flair Showcase came out, I've wanted a true 1/1 of my favorite player, Jeff Conine. I haven't seen any of the Masterpieces show up, and I think he only has two others in a Marlins uniform. Imagine my excitement when I saw he was in 2015 Archives, as an auto no less! I knew there was a decent chance of it showing up. When it was listed last month for $123.45, I didn't even bother with a best offer. I hit the BIN immediately.

This is what I got.
14y24xt.jpg

Dinged upper right corner, bent lower right corner, creased lower left corner.

...and that's exactly how it came out of the pack.

Thanks Topps!

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Black bordered card & signed on card. If Will Clark was in this set, I would just assume the card would be NM at best coming out of the pack and be happy just to have it. Too many obstacles against that card in my opinion. Topps might be able to do something for you, may be worth a phone call to see, but I think it's going to be normal with that release.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
With it being black bordered, I would assume it's going to have something wrong with it but your card is a little worse than one would hope. I don't see the crease that you mentioned though. I don't like the name being in a dark color up top. I wish Jeff Conine would pop more. With all that being said, congratulations on landing such a unique card of your favorite player. He was always fun to watch.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
It's more of a dark charcoal.

Homestly, if it was any other player I would have passed. Even if mint, it's not really an attractive card. The crease is small, and I suck at taking pictures. That doesn't bother me and I can probably smooth out the corner ding like I did when I was a kid. The white corner bothers me the most.

One thing I never did as a kid because TJ Schwartz told me it was bad was recoloring. Can anyone recommend a pen or something to color in the white? Obviously I'd never sell it, and I like displaying. Maybe I'll find the darkest charcoal or graphite pencil. Ink would potentially be a mess

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
That sucks. I mean, with paper versions of 1/1s you kind of have to take what you get. And there's no knowing how it got like that. Maybe the factory did it, maybe the guy handling the autos, maybe the seller was butterfingered, maybe Conine was. But however it happened, it sucks.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
It's more of a dark charcoal.

Homestly, if it was any other player I would have passed. Even if mint, it's not really an attractive card. The crease is small, and I suck at taking pictures. That doesn't bother me and I can probably smooth out the corner ding like I did when I was a kid. The white corner bothers me the most.

One thing I never did as a kid because TJ Schwartz told me it was bad was recoloring. Can anyone recommend a pen or something to color in the white? Obviously I'd never sell it, and I like displaying. Maybe I'll find the darkest charcoal or graphite pencil. Ink would potentially be a mess
Be careful.
I tried to touch up a dinged corner on a black card years ago.
The ink bled into the edge of the card and looked horrible.
And yes, this was my own card, I wasn't trying to sell it.
I still have the card and still get mad at myself for doing it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Members online