Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should the one game "playoff" be changed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I am totally against this "one game play off" and it has nothing to do with me being a Yankee fan.

First off, I don't consider it a "playoff" as it is essentially a tie breaking game 163.

This isn't football which is all about "one game".

One game a week, one game playoffs, one game championship.

Baseball is all about series and length in every way shape and form.

There are no one game "series" during the season (not counting rain make up game obviously).

Best of five, best of seven and best of seven is how the post season goes.

The wildcard game should be a best of three series.

What do you all think?

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I think they should change to 4 divisions so there's no wild card. If they make it a three game cut the regular season down. Personally I think it's great cuz it's exciting and it highlights the need to win the division. More time between the end of the regular season and the start of the LDS could actually hurt the team with the best record

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
As long as there are three divisions, I love it. It makes winning the division actually worth something and adds drama and excitement. With 4 divisions it, obviously, would be a non-issue. But, with the current team count, there are issues with going to 4 divisions.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Yes, it should be changed. It should be a best of three series. The division winners still benefit greatly with less use of their rotations and with the previous series winner having to use up their arms just to make it to the next round, being a large advantage. Too many good teams exiting early, often arguably better than the other division winners.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Yes, it should be changed. It should be a best of three series. The division winners still benefit greatly with less use of their rotations and with the previous series winner having to use up their arms just to make it to the next round, being a large advantage. Too many good teams exiting early, often arguably better than the other division winners.

I get what you're saying but look at last year, two wild cards in the world series. I really think it's fair, exciting and should be left alone

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Why don't we let all the teams make the playoffs.. and have a 5 game series for each..
(then everyone's team make it)

Then we can have the in December..

ok, back to reality.. It's been a 1 game playoff for years..

I think it's great to only have it a one game..

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
2 of the top 3 records in baseball played last night for the chance to go to the playoffs. Yes, it should be changed. And I'm a Cubs fan more than thrilled with last night's outcome.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I believe there should be no "winners" and no "losers" and all 30 teams should tie for "Trying Their Best"... :lol:

I love the one game playoff (which is actually a play-IN). Ace vs Ace, all-or-nothing. It's the ultimate in sports, and anyone who complains probably has too many "Participation" ribbons hanging on their fridge!

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
They will never shorten the season because the owners will never want to lose out on the revenue generated from those games.

In terms of the one game playoff I love it. Brings drama and excitement to the game to kick start momentum to the playoffs. Think it's hard to argue with the how successful it's been for the game the last few years. It makes all 162 games important instead of making the last weekend of the regular season pointless. A perfect example of this was the Rangers/angels series this year.

Thanks,
Jeff

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
If it doesn't get changed after what happened to the Pirates last night, then I doubt it will be changed anytime soon. They were the second-best team in baseball over 162 games and are already out because they had to face the hottest pitcher in the game. I think there's something wrong with the system when number 2 of 30 is eliminated that way. BTW, if the Pirates would've won the game, I'd feel the same way about the Cubs.

I'm in favor of changing it to a 3-game series, even if it means shortening the regular season by 2 games. Eliminate two random interleague games for each team. Just my opinion.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I waiver back and forth. It's definitely not natural for the game of baseball but at the same time you can not deny the excitement. Don't wanna be in it, win your division. Wasn't long ago those teams had zero chance of advancing at all. Plenty of "second best record in the league" teams have had to wear it over the years. There's also something to be said for how stale the teams waiting to play the WC winners would get if it was a series as well. I bet a lot of Cardinals don't like their waiting period right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Don't understand the "game 163." One game? The beauty of baseball is that anything can happen in one game, but over a series or season the stronger team usually wins. Imagine you have two really strong, 100-win teams in one division, one wins, the other gets the wildcard. Then another, weaker 88-win team gets the 2nd wildcard. They play. The 100-game winner loses, because that happens all the time. Then in a regular 5-game series the "Cinderella" gets swept by the other 100-game winner. I appreciate the drama of the 1-game playoff, but it's drama that is redundant after a full season of play. Why don't they just have 8 teams per league in the playoffs, and have everyone go through a knockout round? You want drama? That's drama.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
It should be:

3: play-in series
5: DS
7: CS
7: WS

Teams play like 185 games with spring training. Two more won't hurt

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Isnt this basically the same thing as that "Play In" game for the NCAA Tournament? Please correct me if I am wrong

It's not the same when in the NL the "play in" teams have the 2nd n 3rd best records in all of baseball. In the NCAA it's teams you may not have heard of and aren't even ranked.

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts