Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Are we all "true collectors?"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
So many words that I won't even try to read that article, but I'll say this. I'm not a true collector and I won't pretend to be. Am I integral to the hobby? Yes. Am I a true collector? No. Am I offended by that term? Not at all. I don't know that I can even be considered a collector, or prospector any more, but I buy products, open them and make them available for prospectors and true collectors alike. Yes, the hobby is mostly a business to me, but there's nothing actually wrong with that either and there is nothing wrong with using the term "true" when it comes to someone that buys/trades for cards with no intention of ever selling. I guess that bigger question might be, who is a collector and who is a true collector? Is a true collector only the one that will NEVER sell their collection?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Is a true collector only the one that will NEVER sell their collection?

Good question. I wouldn't say never, because you can change focus or leave the hobby and still have been a collector. I think whoever wrote that ridiculous article clearly missed the point right off the bat by trying to define "true" without at all trying to define "collector" which is the whole point in the first place. There are not enough "end users" as the article calls them and that will continue to be an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
The way I read the article is the writer Isn't the one using the term "true" collector and is instead decrying its use.

Which I agree with...

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Yeah, I read it as he was replying to a general term used among the board members accusing/diacussing each other of not being true collectors because of their dislikes or thinking.

The discord among different collectors has never been more apparent. (Go look at the BO forum any day) there are just as many collectors who embrace each other's interests and diversity and support that as well, BUT, the detractors are louder in their statements of said opinions.

I've run the gamut of being a kid picking up single packs and trading to player collector, over my head player collector, and finally a much more diverse appreciation for this hobby. I have my niche, and I won't pretend to understand prospects or RC ' S but I thoroughly enjoy looking at and seeing others pickups, collections and excitement in doing so.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
I get the point Cracknell is trying to make, but think he overreacts to the silliness of the BO boards and misses the point.

I consider myself a true collector and don't mind calling myself that. That being said I have no problem with the breakers and people in it for the money as they are the ones bringing the new Doerr cards to light so that I can get them in the end. Without them I wouldn't have been able to add have the cards that I wanted of Doerr, and to try to acquire them I would have to break box upon box open.

I think all the categories mesh together as one and each serves a purpose on the hobby. Without each, I think our hobby would fade away.

Thanks,
Jeff

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sounds like someone whining. I'd say if you are saving cards for any reason other than hoping that they will increase in value so you can sell them later, then you are a collector. If you are buying cards to sell them, then you are not collecting anything buy money. It is a business. Perhaps "serious" vs "casual" collector is a better term to separate those who care.

I find Super Collector to be a more irritating and overused term than True Collector, which was never really actually a term in my mind before reading the article (unless you find that I used the term at some point in the past, then I will plead the fifth).

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I don't know if we are all true collectors. I don't even know if I am. I have sold a few cards over the years but it was more to help a collector finish a set than investment purposes. I love collecting baseball cards. I think I'm a dedicated and committed Jim Thome collector. Great question.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There's no card I have which I wouldn't sell for "the right price"

What that price is who knows.

I have a Ripken insert serial numbered 2131/5000 which I always say will never be.sold.

I paid a couple bucks for it but what if a mega Cal collector throws out a a "can't refuse" offer.

I love it so much that I would marry it and buy it Bon Bons daily, but it does have a price. What that price is I literally have no idea.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
So, am I a True Super Collector ? That is the main question we're all struggling with, I believe. Truly, I do.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Man, you guys are better than me; I couldn't even make it through the whole article. I didn't even know the stuff I did make it through was even an issue. Does anybody really use the term true collector?

For the part that I did read I felt it was poorly written so it's a possibility that's why I didn't finish it, but I may have just lost interest.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Man, you guys are better than me; I couldn't even make it through the whole article. I didn't even know the stuff I did make it through was even an issue. Does anybody really use the term true collector?

For the part that I did read I felt it was poorly written so it's a possibility that's why I didn't finish it, but I may have just lost interest.

Members online

Latest posts