Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh......my......goodness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Wow , had no idea Burbank had that much wax there. Crazy BBCE more than doubled their inventory. You'd have to think they got a pretty good deal on the product to make them lay out that much.

Ryan

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The pictures of the '80s and early '90s wax boxes on the shelves is so nostalgic for me. Just like what I saw as a kid and teenager going into card shops every weekend and on tables at card shows.

I wonder how much money the transaction was. Probably a lot lower than we'd think. Some of those boxes like '90 Fleer probably averaged a dollar each in the deal. I'd buy that for a dollar!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I can see why BBCE went for the unopened boxes/fact sets - they couldn't afford to buy out Burbank's singles inventory! ;)

EDIT: I think it's funny in the photo that the most identifiable cases say "Upper Deck 1990 Edition", Topps 1990 baseball, and 1990 Score Rookies & Traded baseball and in one of the photos with the actual boxes sitting on shelves, it looks like many of the shelves are bowing from the weight of the unopened boxes/sets.

Last edited:

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I would take all their 88 Fleer boxes with Dawson on them and all their 88 and 89 Fleer Glossy tin sets with Dawson on them and all their 87 Fleer Update tin sets with Dawson on them.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I would take all their 88 Fleer boxes with Dawson on them and all their 88 and 89 Fleer Glossy tin sets with Dawson on them and all their 87 Fleer Update tin sets with Dawson on them.

Dustin, this right here makes you more than just a super collector - you are like ... a super duper collector or something! You probably have untold variations that people no nothing about just sitting at home.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
There's a reason why "Burbank is the largest dealer of sports card singles in the hobby, with approximately 42 million cards in stock.". Their prices are so ludicrously and outrageously expensive their cards are collecting dust.

Makes one wonder how BBCE managed to talk them down to a (presumably) reasonable deal.

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Makes one wonder how BBCE managed to talk them down to a (presumably) reasonable deal.

Apparently a business decision - moving the unopened boxes/fact sets at a reasonable cost gives him space to list and store more singles that have much higher margins.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Makes me wonder what late '90's treasures are buried in there! Curious Burbank didn't make attempts to make the inventory available.

I agree, I never had a clue they carried that type of inventory. Being that they had more wax in terms of numbers that BBCE did, they should of been able to compete against them. Wonder what took them so long to make the decision to move it all. BBCE in no way paid to much for the lot IMO so I assume BB just called it a day to move on.

In terms of pricing BB has on their singles, and yes I agree they can be high, the thing is if they needed to reduce, they would. I'd think they are doing just fine financially to operate the way they do and don't see the pricing as a concern.

Ryan

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
Man I would love to know what they bought from 1997-2003. I'd kill to open some cases of 1999 Fleer looking for those Starting Nine parallels, or a lot of those awesome sets like Avant or Premium or Focus...

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Dustin, this right here makes you more than just a super collector - you are like ... a super duper collector or something! You probably have untold variations that people no nothing about just sitting at home.

I have been slowly trying to make them all known for everyone, but others keep pointing in the direction of more possible variations that I might not have known about and that is one reason I love this forum!

Members online

Latest posts