Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 2006 topps Alex Gordon fiasco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I was on a break from collecting from probably around 2002-2008 so I'm not too familiar with the topps Alex Gordon fiasco. I know that they cut out his face on the topps and heritage cards, I'm guessing because of some contract issues. This board is such a wealth of knowledge I was wondering if someone would explain what the deal is and what versions of those cards exist. ( Didnt Keith olberman pay big money for a non cut up topps card) The reason I am asking is that I am almost done with my 2006 topps heritage set but am missing #255 Alex Gordon. Is this set complete without him? Also with his heroics the other night I thought this would be a good time to talk about his cards. Thanks for your input.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I have the Topps cutout version and the Topps gold blank back version. They were "accidentally" placed into packs.

As for the set being complete, or not. I'd say yes.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
Thanks for the input, I think I've seen the non cut up version of the topps card, does anyone know how many copies exist that weren't cut up? Also does a non cut up topps heritage card exist? How big of a hype was around Gordon at the time? Was the hype for Gordon as big as it was for Strasburg? Or was it more at the heyward/upton levels etc. I couldn't imagine how crazy people would have been if Strasburg had something like this lol.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Gordon was pretty hyped. He's been a great player, but hyped so big he could never live up to it.

I don't know if there's a full heritage. I've never seen one. No clue in the print runs of them either. There's quite a few full base Topps, on eBay.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I think there are five variations - two cutouts (one where most of the Royals name is missing), blank front, blank front with foil, and full card.

As for the Heritage, the set is complete without the cutout. You won't ever find a "full" card. It only exists as a proof

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/2012/02/02/the-heritage-of-alex-gordon/

Here's why I put full in quotes. It's an interesting read.

I'd never touch one of the full cut outs. Entirely too easy to make a bunch of them with a stack of 2006 Topps commons.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
2606eft.jpg

Another cutout mystery! I pulled this on October 26th, 1997. I know the date because I went up to the card store and bought several packs before game 7 of the World Series. We were all confused as to why there was a cutout. Was it a player who was pulled from production? Was it a situation like the 1992 Wild Card Mark Bavarro "red X" variation? WAS IT UNIQUE AND VALUABLE?! Who knows, but I've yet to see another one, nor have I posted it online before.

It took me 18 years to solve the mystery. I checked Ebay 5 minutes ago and discovered it's Edgar Renteria.

...the same Edgar Renteria who had the game winning hit to win the 1997 World Series. Pretty neat. It just vaulted up my list of favorite cards

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I sold Olbermann one of his Heritage cutouts. I mailed it to an address on Central Park East or West or whatever. He could afford it.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I think there are five variations - two cutouts (one where most of the Royals name is missing), blank front, blank front with foil, and full card.

As for the Heritage, the set is complete without the cutout. You won't ever find a "full" card. It only exists as a proof

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/2012/02/02/the-heritage-of-alex-gordon/

Here's why I put full in quotes. It's an interesting read.

Thanks for the link that was a great read, as usual I'm always so impressed by the knowledge and helpfulness of this board. It's nice to be able get information on cards from other collectors vs. just googling crap all the time.

Members online