Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who here has NEVER made a set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Aside from making a couple SPECIFICALLY for a customer, I can only recall making one or two sets in the last 25 or so years.

In fact, those one or two I made were done in team order, not number order.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think that set collecting is a thing of the past for the majority of collectors. With all the gimmicks (SPs, SSPs, etc), building a true set is just too expensive or difficult. Even w/o the special cards, packs have gotten so expensive for the average set and the collation being hit or miss it seems, building a set is just not economical. Not long after a set hits, you can usually buy them complete on ebay for a fraction of what it would cost to build one by hand.

For anyone who collected before it was all about the value, most of us built a set or numerous sets. It was the thing to do. I started buying sets as soon as I found out you could, around 1981 or so. However, I did build a 78 Topps set, which was my first year buying cards. I don't know why, but I never did build a 79 or 80 set though. I think the next set I tackled was 81T football and that nearly ruined set building for me because I needed one damn card for so long.

I really couldn't imagine building a set now though.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Aside from making a couple SPECIFICALLY for a customer, I can only recall making one or two sets in the last 25 or so years.

In fact, those one or two I made were done in team order, not number order.

You are not a true collector, and you should be stripped of your "featured writer" status immediately.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
As much as I have to agree that completing sets anymore is nearly impossible I have two master sets I have been working on for years and refuse to give up on. If I can can ever complete them as pathetic as it may sound I will feel like I have actually accomplished something :) I did used to collect sets in the 80's but not those weren't nearly close to as difficulty as now and as mrmopar said, way expensive.

2004 Leaf Rookies and Stars Football I currently have 1502 of 1573 card in the set

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/827917-2004-leaf-r-s-master-set-need-serious-help.html

1998 Donruss Preferred Baseball Master Set only need a few more samples

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...er-set-of-1998-Donruss-Preferred-(PLEASE!!)-)

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I built a 1984 and 1985 set back then. Like [MENTION=4047]mrmopar[/MENTION] said as soon as I saw you can buy them I started to get them that way. I think that is what created my obsession with getting mail.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I think I'm n the minority but I like making sets more than player collecting. Maybe because who I was collecting Bonds, Clemens and Rodriguez all took major hits and Brandon Wood never panned out. Now I still have a lot of cards with little value, at least my sets have a theme. I don't buy many boxes I tend to buy complete base sets from Brent and Becca on eBay then trade for SPs or buy lots of 10 at a time. I refuse to go for SSPs because prices are ridiculous and since it's my collection I can just be happy with base and SPs. That being said I do buy some prospect cards but only at reasonable prices unless it's a Giants or Yankees player, then I'll stupidly over spend :D

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Go to any card show and the guys with nickle boxes seems to always have plenty of customers with their needs list.

Fordman

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I started collecting in 1986 at 5 years old and the only set I have ever put together was 2010 Topps. The only reason I did that one was because of their Million Card Giveaway and I bought an absolute ton of that stuff to get the code cards for the giveaway.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
That Million Card Giveaway. I forgot about that. I wonder what I had. Nothing worth redeeming. Maybe there's an old thread on it.

Anyway, I focus on sets, always have. I like building a well-rounded collection so I've got lots of nice cards from all eras, and I've gone deep in player collecting, prospecting, pretty much everything except type collecting, but I always think about building a set of whatever first.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Now that I think about it, I "kind of" tried putting a set of 2000 Pacific Omega together.

I said"kind of" because I only went after all the numbered rookies and not the base cards.

Skippy100

Sep 21, 2015
I guess I'm in middle. I will do prospecting with specific players, and player collecting on a couple specific stars, but I do try to put together some hard sets as a long term thing.

Here are a couple samples of hard sets I've done or are ongoing:
-- 1998 Leaf Rookies and Stars baseball, with all SP's. (Completed)

-- 1993 Finest baseball, with all well centered cards (most out there are not well centered) (almost complete, 90% done)

-- 2009 Bowman baseball orange parallel /250, with all auto's. (About 40% complete)

-- 2009 Bowman baseball blue parallel /500, with all auto's. (About 60% complete)

-- 2005 Bowman Chrome baseball, with all auto's. (So close, only need about 11 autos to finish)

-- 2005 Throwback Threads baseball, with the SSP Babe Ruth. So hard to find the #300 Ruth in the set! (Complete)

There are a couple others but you get the picture.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
I have made one since returning to the hobby:

2009 Finest

2009Finest1.jpg

2009Finest2.jpg

2009Finest3.jpg

2009Finest4.jpg

2009Finest5.jpg

2009Finest6.jpg

2009Finest7.jpg

2009Finest8.jpg

2009Finest9.jpg

2009Finest10.jpg

2009Finest11.jpg

2009Finest12.jpg

2009Finest13.jpg

2009Finest14.jpg

2009Finest15.jpg

2009Finest16.jpg

2009Finest17.jpg

2009FinestRedemp1.jpg

2009FinestRedemp2.jpg

2009FinestLetters1.jpg

2009FinestLetters2.jpg

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I guess I'm in middle. I will do prospecting with specific players, and player collecting on a couple specific stars, but I do try to put together some hard sets as a long term thing.

Here are a couple samples of hard sets I've done or are ongoing:
-- 1998 Leaf Rookies and Stars baseball, with all SP's. (Completed)

-- 1993 Finest baseball, with all well centered cards (most out there are not well centered) (almost complete, 90% done)

-- 2009 Bowman baseball orange parallel /250, with all auto's. (About 40% complete)

-- 2009 Bowman baseball blue parallel /500, with all auto's. (About 60% complete)

-- 2005 Bowman Chrome baseball, with all auto's. (So close, only need about 11 autos to finish)

-- 2005 Throwback Threads baseball, with the SSP Babe Ruth. So hard to find the #300 Ruth in the set! (Complete)

There are a couple others but you get the picture.

Hopefully you got the Trout's for your 09 Bowman before he made it big.

Tmcd05

Aug 6, 2015
Baltimore, MD
I enjoy the Topps Chroke Set. A much smaller set and I love the look of the cards. I built 5 sets in 2015 and truly only enjoyed the Topps chrome Set. I also PC Jonathan Schoop.

Rabs

Jan 25, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL
The only "set" I collect are Lucky 13 RCs from Fleer Ultra Football years 2004-2007. It's actually only 13 cards of the entire set each year but they have parallel and autographed versions. Fleer went bankrupt in 2004 so the cards that year are super rare and I still need a lot of them.

Skippy100

Sep 21, 2015
Hopefully you got the Trout's for your 09 Bowman before he made it big.

Oh, I'm just sticking to the 2009 Bowman paper blue and orange parallel versions. The Chrome blue or orange refractor sets for that year, with all of the autos (including the Mike Trout auto), is just impossible at this point without being a millionaire. :p

Members online

Latest posts