Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

COMC wins lawsuit vs. beckett

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Didn't see this posted yet

http://youtu.be/DiR89k72xXg

Personally I'm glad. It was obviously a frivolous lawsuit because Beckett was butt hurt that comc wouldn't sell out to them.

I guess this also marks my two year anniversary of boycotting Beckett. Few cards in the marketplace I would like to buy but am never spending another dime with them again.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Good for comc. Now Let's hope Zistle will be OK too. Haven't heard anything about that suit recently.

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
In the end, does it really matter? COMC pretty much remade their entire database by scratch and there are still numerous errors, usually card numbering. I wonder why Beckett wanted to buy them in the first place. Was it so their Beckett store members wouldn't have as much competition and could jack up the prices? It's a bit ironic since there were some nice cards on COMC the past couple of years only for people to snatch them cheap and jack up the price for double of what they sell for on ebay. That really takes the fun out of collecting and I've been buying less on COMC compared to 5 years ago.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
In other COMC news, they just completely dropped the ball on the Black Friday preview promotion.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
In the end, does it really matter? COMC pretty much remade their entire database by

It matters. The lawsuit forced COMC to spend a lot of time and resources and make the quality of their brand suffer by having to design and implement their own database instead of using what apparently now is court-ruled as a non-proprietary checklist database.

-----

as for the Black Friday post, if nothing hasn't been announced yet, I'm not surprised. We're still a week away so that leaves them time to make an announcement in time to be useful for collectors. If COMC wants my consideration on black friday, I want to see all shipping fees waived so you can get the card delivered at the price shown for that card with no additional shipping fees.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
It matters. The lawsuit forced COMC to spend a lot of time and resources and make the quality of their brand suffer by having to design and implement their own database instead of using what apparently now is court-ruled as a non-proprietary checklist database.

-----

as for the Black Friday post, if nothing hasn't been announced yet, I'm not surprised. We're still a week away so that leaves them time to make an announcement in time to be useful for collectors. If COMC wants my consideration on black friday, I want to see all shipping fees waived so you can get the card delivered at the price shown for that card with no additional shipping fees.

I was referring to the black friday preview week which was supposed to start at 12am this morning. Promotions were not activated until around ~9 am.

As for the shipping fees, assuming you're not in advanced seller mode, your shipping cost is a flat $3. Which, if I recall is being waived during black friday promotions.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
As for the shipping fees, assuming you're not in advanced seller mode, your shipping cost is a flat $3. Which, if I recall is being waived during black friday promotions.

I'm a buyer - not sure what advanced seller mode is so it must be something new since the last time I ordered from COMC. I did check their blog to see shipping waived for 20+ items on black friday - now to see if there are 20 or so bargains to be found there that I'm in the market for.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
Advanced seller mode is when someone buys a card cheap for the sole purpose of "flipping" it for twice the price of what they usually sell for. That way they don't have to pay for the shipping fee.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
not sure what this means or it's effect on my collection. doubt it has any, and honestly I don't care. If I can find a good deal i'm happy. I've bought from the beckett marketplace several times, and more recently I've used comc to purchase close to 30 cards for my various needs. I like the blanket shipping cost and the ease in which I can find lesser names and cards. now that I think about it, i'm glad beckett doesn't have anything to do with it, the website is screwed up enough.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
This was such an absurd lawsuit in the first place, and all it did was set back COMC, but hopefully move them forwards. I can't say if Beckett's intentions were to destroy COMC or what, but they definitely knocked COMC down a peg, be it because it forced COMC to use resources to deal with the lawsuit or because it exposed flaws in COMC. Either way, with the lawsuit behind them, COMC needs to start moving back in the right direction

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
Congrats to Comc! Love their site and I normally buy about 6 to 8 times from their dealers. Best regards, David PS looking forward to their black Friday sales.

Members online