Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sweeny Murti: Harper to Yanks a lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Let’s go back two years when the Yankees drew their line in the sand with Robinson Cano at seven*years, $175 million.

Cano was over 30 and didn’t have any of the shiny trophies the Yankess wanted to see if they were going to dole out more than that.

Well, Harper already has a Rookie of the Year on his mantle and now will have at least one MVP. He will have the chance to add a couple more, as he’s under the Nationals’ control through 2018.

But that’s where the Yankees come in. How long are we supposed to believe they will shop in the bargain aisle? This is a match made in money.

Always remember what 16-year-old Harper said about his career ambitions as a Sports Illustrated cover boy in 2009:

“Be in the Hall of Fame, definitely. Play in Yankee Stadium. Play in the pinstripes. Be considered the greatest baseball player who ever lived. I can’t wait,” he told the magazine.

I also vividly remember Harper ogling Yankees batting practice before a spring training game a few years ago.

Every other member of the Nationals was off the field, except Harper. He kneeled on one knee and watched Yankee hitters intently until being summoned by GM Mike Rizzo, who essentially told Harper it wasn’t nice to stare at others, especially when they play for the other team.

Can you see this guy packing up his trophies in two years and going anywhere except New York? Come on. That’s a clown question, bro.

Get younger. Get a drawing card. Get a guy to build your team around for the next 10*years. Check, check, check.

Younger. That’s a key concept when we talk about the Yankees, isn’t it? Do you know that Harper, who turned 23 last month, is six months younger than stud outfield prospect Aaron Judge? Harper will be 26 when hits free agency.

I asked an executive recently who had a better chance of playing right field for the Yankees in 2019, Judge or Harper. The response I got was “Judge in left, Harper in right.”

Also keep in mind the Yankees have in recent years been very strategic about when they spend money, waiting for contracts to come off the books before reinvesting. And guess whose contract (finally) comes off the books after the 2017 season? Alex Rodriguez.

An offshoot of this might be that the one-year lag between A-Rod’s contract coming off and Harper hitting free agency might give the Yankees a chance to get under the luxury tax threshold and reset their tax rate so they can really spend freely again.

Although how exactly that works will depend*on how the new CBA gets hammered out next year at this time. However you look at it, the Yankees will certainly be in position to make it happen.

Harper to the Yankees in three years. It’s inevitable.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
He'll sign with the Las Vegas Lights, the newly relocated franchise that was earlier named the Tampa Bay Rays.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
harper-monument-park_zpsn4lkjqb0.jpg

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
34?

Isn't he taking 27 for Jeter and Mantle?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts