Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Exclusives Suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've decided that the worst thing in the hobby this week is player-exclusivity. I know it's been around since forever, and it's why I could never decide on a 1950s set to collect, because no set has all the players I want. My sweet 1955 Bowman set is lacking Musial, which is ridiculous. Not to mention Koufax and Clemente, but I guess we give them a pass. But I was looking at Panini Flawless cards, as I'm building the baseball set and was curious about other sports. Turns out they have a USA Basketball subset in this year's set. They are numbered to 20, with parallels, but they contain not just diamonds but also rubies and sapphires, making a sweet red, white, and blue design. However, I realized that no Team USA set would be complete without Michael Jordan, and there's no Jordan. No Panini set has Jordan. And since UD doesn't have NBA anymore, they are reduced to making infinite UNC and golf Jordan cards. How can you have a USA/NBA set with retired players without Jordan? How can you have a Yankees or all-time-great set without Mantle? How can you have a MLB set without Bonds? How could there be no A-Rod cards from Topps in the 90s? I think Bernie Sanders's first task as president should be to eliminate all barriers and put Michael Jordan back in NBA sets. Force that 1% to join the other 99%. I know about all the marketing deals and licensing issues and personal image rights and all that. But damn, I want a Michael Jordan USA Flawless card.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I agree 100% but I hate companies getting exclusive contacts with sports even more. Especially when I think how great Immaculate would look with logos.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I liked the upper deck exclusive with griffey. Topps was able to produce base cards and parallels but UD did all the GU and autos while not SP-ing the crap out of them. On any given set you were able to find 150-350 griffey autos. None of this sp to /50 and more limited parallels crap. They made him accessible to any collector.
As for the OP point. I do agree

Members online

Latest posts