Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ken Giles & Jon. Arauz traded to Astros for Appel, Velasquez, Oberholtzer, Eshelman & H.Arauz !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Ken Giles & Jon. Arauz traded to Astros for Appel, Velasquez, Oberholtzer, Eshelman & H.Arauz !

Still absolutely baffles me while the Fightin's would trade away Giles so soon ... hopefully the return is well worth it !

Edit: Absolutely INCREDIBLE haul for Philly ! I believe this is an overpay on Houston's part.

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
The Astros and Phillies are in agreement on a trade that will send right-hander Vincent Velasquez, lefty Brett Oberholtzer and another prospect to Philadelphia in exchange for young closer Ken Giles, reports Mark Berman of FOX Sports Houston (Twitter link).

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I guess it isn't terrible for the Phillies then. A lot for Houston to give up, but, after the meltdown vs. K.C. in the playoffs, they definitely needed to address the pen.

I wonder what the asking price was for Andrew Miller, since they were thought to be involved in trade discussions there.

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Who going to get to the closer? The Phillies have a whole lot of nothing though they've gotten better with recent trades. I'm fine with not having a closer if its adding potential assets in other areas.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Seems like a fair trade. Might as well trade Giles at his peak value and get some young starters in return...

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
call me silly, but i would think an 25 yr old lights out closer would be a said potential piece for the future.

Houston won out big in this deal...by a long shot.

He isnt a 25 year old lights out closer since he's barely been a closer. Houston didnt win big time but they got the piece they wanted. Its a good trade for both teams.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Still absolutely baffles me while the Fightin's would trade away Giles so soon ... hopefully the return is well worth it !

I live in Houston, I think this is a win win for both teams. Houston gets a young power arm closer under contract for 3 or 4 years as an upgrade over Gregerson. The Phillies get a power arm starter back in Velasquez, a serviceable lefty in Oberholtzer who could surprise who can start for Phillies and a solid prospect with power.

Last edited:

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
He isnt a 25 year old lights out closer since he's barely been a closer. Houston didnt win big time but they got the piece they wanted. Its a good trade for both teams.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app

very well, i still think they got smoked in the trade imho.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts