Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jason Heyward Signs an 8-Year/$184M Deal With the Cubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
This will cost them their 2nd round pick, meaning the Cubs have sacrificed both their 1st and 2nd rounders now. Hope it turns out to be worth it.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
Heyward can play CF. But cubs will keep fielding offers on soler. Cubs could then go for a CF. Span, fowler options there.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Between him, zobrist and samardzija, the over pays in these guys is off the chart.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Gordon Wittenmyer ‏@GDubCub
Heyward deal less than $185m. Believed to be eight years.

Which is reportedly less than the Nats' and Cards' offers. Like Zobrist, $ isn't everything to him. I applaud this.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
heyward deal with cubs is $184M, 8 years

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
is this really the value of a guy hitting 33 doubles, 4 3b, 13 hr, with 60 rbi now? unbelievable money, even if he can win a gold glove in the OF.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Gordon Wittenmyer ‏@GDubCub
Heyward deal less than $185m. Believed to be eight years.

Which is reportedly less than the Nats' and Cards' offers. Like Zobrist, $ isn't everything to him. I applaud this.

I find it hard to believe the cards were willing to pay more considering they let one of the best players in baseball get away with pujols. The cards dont like to pay anyone big

Sent from my XT555C using Tapatalk 2

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
is this really the value of a guy hitting 33 doubles, 4 3b, 13 hr, with 60 rbi now? unbelievable money, even if he can win a gold glove in the OF.
It's a lot, but if you factor in his age, OBP (34th in active OBP), defense, baserunning, etc.....he is pretty much the overall package. There are very few weaknesses in his game. Usually only power hitters get those types of contracts, but I think 2 big factors in this deal were him being only 26yo (seriously no player is a FA at that age!) and he was the top rated position player on the FA market this offseason. He is essentially the perfect player for the Cubs to sign. Why? Because he is ENTERING HIS prime at the start of the contract, and for a team who hopes to make it to the World Series for the next several years, that is huge!

With that said, I will be VERY disappointed if the Cubbies don't win the World Series in 2016.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Heyward is an 8 yr deal at 26, Pujols was a 10 yr deal at 31.

Pujols = King of STL at time and All Time Great , Face of franchise

Heyward = Not so much

I know what your saying, but it's hard to compare the players at all in any type of fairness to either side

Ryan

selah150pslm

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Pujols = King of STL at time and All Time Great , Face of franchise

Heyward = Not so much

I know what your saying, but it's hard to compare the players at all in any type of fairness to either side

Ryan

That's my point though, St Louis was looking at it from a on field future of the team aspect, not what you are off the field/will you sell tickets aspect. That's one of the reasons they're successful. The Lakers would be far better today if they didn't sign Kobe to his most recent contract. Same concept.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
That's my point though, St Louis was looking at it from a on field future of the team aspect, not what you are off the field/will you sell tickets aspect. That's one of the reasons they're successful. The Lakers would be far better today if they didn't sign Kobe to his most recent contract. Same concept.

Gonna have to disagree with the comparisons because of the salary cap in basketball. StL could have paid Pujols and still survived w/o much effect. But they are successful and not signing AP hasn't stopped them from making the playoffs either.

Anyway , back to the thread , congrats to JH for getting the deal. Doesn't seem like it was very long ago where the Braves were the "Up , Up n a Hey" crew, that sure went away fast.

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts