Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

93 Finest vs 93 Finest Refractor - Which Card is This? HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
I'm looking into purchasing this card, all I have is photos online to go from. Tough to tell for certain if it is the refractor, though I really think it is due to the coloring that appears at an angle. Thoughts FCB world?

Griffey1.JPGGriffey2.JPGGriffey3.JPGGriffey4.JPG

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
I know the card is also listed in Ebay and it's not indicated to be a refractor....but that doesn't mean that the seller knows that is going on.

Thanks for the clarification, not going to lie though. Looking at these angle photos and the photos from certified refractors I do not see the difference you are referring to. When I compare this to known non-refractors (that I have in my possession, in hand) this card certainly appears to be a refractor compared to those. I'll take your word.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Not a refractor. You can tell from these photos but in hand it is night and day. I can't see any legitimate grader accidentally slabbing a refractor as a non-refractor.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
Got it, thanks guys. I've looked back at my refractors and non-refractors. The rainbow-ing in the green border is the biggest give away I can find.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Without looking at the replies, it doesn't look like a refractor to me

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Scan_Pic0005_zpsy7rpj2s5.jpg

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
I've been thinking about this lately. The reason being, I saw four different refractors pop up over the past two weeks of a guy I collect. I just found that odd considering the set is 22 years old, and only 241 (?) copies of each card exist...

Would it at all be possible to fake or counterfeit these cards with an application on the surface that would create a refractor effect? I'm hoping the answer is absolutely not and this theory has been shot down before. I just find it odd that these cards keep coming out of the woodwork.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
It is pretty amazing the quantity that survived since 1993!!! and that's a good question. You can jump on Ebay or Comc at any point and find just about any player for sale in the '93 Refractor. Unfortunately as technology gets better so do the counterfeits.... :|

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Are you subscribing to me hairbrained theory that this is possible, especially considering no numbering/serial on the back?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It is pretty amazing the quantity that survived since 1993!!! and that's a good question. You can jump on Ebay or Comc at any point and find just about any player for sale in the '93 Refractor. Unfortunately as technology gets better so do the counterfeits.... :|

What would be one reason that Refractors from and expensive pack in 1993 would not survive?

Ryan

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
You do realize how many people that quite honestly didn't really give a sh*t about cards or knew squat about cards were receiving them for birthdays, christmas, you name it. 5 year olds, 10 year olds. Look at the cards, put them in spokes, toss them in a shoe box. Hell even people that thought they were "collectors" but didn't really know what they had. Pop a pack, good looking card, maybe penny sleeve it and toss it in a box. Yet all of these amazing quality refractors are still alive today after 22 years?

it's not impossible that a number of these are fakes and it's a reasonable question.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
You do realize how many people that quite honestly didn't really give a sh*t about cards or knew squat about cards were receiving them for birthdays, christmas, you name it. 5 year olds, 10 year olds. Look at the cards, put them in spokes, toss them in a shoe box. Hell even people that thought they were "collectors" but didn't really know what they had. Pop a pack, good looking card, maybe penny sleeve it and toss it in a box. Yet all of these amazing quality refractors are still alive today after 22 years?

it's not impossible that a number of these are fakes and it's a reasonable question.

If you were talking about 1993 Donruss cards with some inserts lying around lost in collection I'd get it, you are talking about the most premium set of 1993 that cost $$$ even back then and 8 year old kids weren't really buying these or getting Finest boxes for gifts. Your comparing 1993 Finest cards to random junk wax era items. Packs began at $4/pack and within a short period of time they were $15-25 and even reached higher. There was only 4000 cases of the product produced. A ton of product/refractors weren't "lost" or destroyed of 1993 Finest.

Ryan

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
If you were talking about 1993 Donruss cards with some inserts lying around lost in collection I'd get it, you are talking about the most premium set of 1993 that cost $$$ even back then and 8 year old kids weren't really buying these or getting Finest boxes for gifts. Your comparing 1993 Finest cards to random junk wax era items. Packs began at $4/pack and within a short period of time they were $15-25 and even reached higher. There was only 4000 cases of the product produced. A ton of product/refractors weren't "lost" or destroyed of 1993 Finest.

Ryan

Your opinion.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD

Did you collect in the early 90s? I did and 1993 Finest had a rich kid vibe. I swear I remember card shows charging $20 a pack. This was a set priced too high for most kids and you'd be lucky to bust a handful of packs if that.

From day one, the refractors were crazy hard to find and any key player had an astronomical price tag. This isn't a set that you bought on a whim as a stocking stuffer for a kid. These packs were bought by hardcore collectors or dealers looking to make a profit.

There are some sets where counterfeits can be a legitimate concern, like 1991 Topps Desert Shield, but 1993 Finest Refractors is not one of those.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
Did you collect in the early 90s? I did and 1993 Finest had a rich kid vibe. I swear I remember card shows charging $20 a pack. This was a set priced too high for most kids and you'd be lucky to bust a handful of packs if that.

From day one, the refractors were crazy hard to find and any key player had an astronomical price tag. This isn't a set that you bought on a whim as a stocking stuffer for a kid. These packs were bought by hardcore collectors or dealers looking to make a profit.

There are some sets where counterfeits can be a legitimate concern, like 1991 Topps Desert Shield, but 1993 Finest Refractors is not one of those.

Because why? Why, with all the technology in the world, can every other card possibly be counterfeit but a '93 Refractor couldn't be?

I have no idea if there are any counterfeit out there or there aren't, I've never ran across any. But for you to just claim that there's no way there are counterfeits out there is just naive.

Members online