Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors: Do You Count Team Cards for Your Player?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
This is something I have been curious about for a long time. I have my opinion but I wanted others to weigh in. I do count them but they are not cards that I typically seek out. However, I did make an exception recently for the 2008 Topps Heritage Mets team card SP. The reason for this was the fact that Sandy Alomar Jr. has never had a Major League card issued with the New York Mets and I was able to fairly easily identify him on the card. So now I have four team cards in my player collection.

What are your thoughts?

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
I personally collect the team cards with my PC player as long as he's pictured on the team shot. Also, just as a side note there are a couple of older team checklists that have just his signature on the front of the card (1973, 1974) along with the other members of the team; I try to collect those as well. I haven't got to the point of collecting checklists or other cards, like the '67 Punchpout, with just his name printed.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I personally do not collect team cards.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
This is something I have been curious about for a long time. I have my opinion but I wanted others to weigh in. I do count them but they are not cards that I typically seek out. However, I did make an exception recently for the 2008 Topps Heritage Mets team card SP. The reason for this was the fact that Sandy Alomar Jr. has never had a Major League card issued with the New York Mets and I was able to fairly easily identify him on the card. So now I have four team cards in my player collection.

What are your thoughts?

I count them and recently picked up a 2005 Topps Florida Marlins Gold card because I can clearly see Dawson on it

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I've seen different people draw the lines in different ways. Solo only, Dual at most, only if the name is on it, only if he was intentionally supposed to be in the picture, etc.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I guess I am a little quirky when it comes to these sorts of things. I don't collect plates, posters or magazines, but I collect game trivia cards, mini promo posters and even the uber rare marble that was from Topps.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have added them more recently, not necessarily because I can place the player, but because it was something different. I have also set aside checklists too, but it begins to really stretch it there and only those handful of hardcore guys can take that next step to mentions on card backs, partial body part cameos and identifiable equipment shots. I'd take obvious cameos (not the blurry "maybe it's him" cards) if any existed, but I am unsure there are any of Garvey.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Yes, like others have said above, it's a different way to go about player collecting. I have 3 photo cards, all from the same 1936 R311 set

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Nope, not team cards or checklists. Not even cameos.

This makes me sad :(

i do team cards, and you guys know i do cameos. Im sick in the head when it comes to cameos. Yet, i wont do checklists. Gotta have Bags in the picture. But then, i also have some trivia cards. Dang, im all over the place.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Good question. I don't, and never really thought about it. I'll do checklists if Jim Thome is on the front of the card, like 2011 Topps. I usually put team cards in with my team sets in binders. Topps cards only of course. But the longer I collect Thome cards the more I branch out.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
As I've run out of affordable cards to pick up for my players, I will go looking for team cards and team photos. I don't include them in my completion counts, but they're something nice to have in the absence of other new cards to add to my collections.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
As I've run out of affordable cards to pick up for my players, I will go looking for team cards and team photos. I don't include them in my completion counts, but they're something nice to have in the absence of other new cards to add to my collections.
Pretty much sums it up for me too. I do like the cameos also.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I collect team cards and their parallels for Mark Grace and Don Zimmer that they are pictured on, but do not count them in my card totals. I treat them the same way I treat cameo cards.

Collecting some of the older team cards for Zim has been fun, including Exhibits and early Topps cards. There's several 50's team cards Zimmer is pictured on, but wasn't even on the team, as Topps recycled the same photo for years.

Then there are cards like these - cards that picture stadium scenes with teams playing or team lineups. Under magnification, I could tell that the small player at 1st base was Grace. A step down from team cards but in the same vein. I consider these cameos as well.

98PINNACLECHECKLIST.jpg
89SCOREWRIGLEY.jpg
94SCORECUBS.jpg

Just counted for the first time. I have 25 Mark Grace team cards, and a whopping 87 team cards for Don Zimmer (he was on a lot of teams!), including parallels and buybacks.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
I don't unless my guy is prominently featured and/or visible.

I'll extend this out - where does everyone stand on massive multiplayer cards? Things like the 1997 Pro Shooter checklist, the 1993-1994 Black Gold "You've Just Won" cards... I personally have them in my Baerga collection but I'm really wondering why I consider them "his card" when here are 10-40 other players on it and he's barely visible...

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
I don't consider cameos, checklists, or cards where the player's name appears. I do consider the team cards where he is obviously present and I would probably count the massive multiplayer cards if there were any. I do have the 2001 Upper Deck Vintage Team card that features headshots of the anticipated regular lineup in my collection. I am considering picking up an oddball error card of Roberto Alomar that actually has Sandy Alomar Jr. pictured.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I don't unless my guy is prominently featured and/or visible.

I'll extend this out - where does everyone stand on massive multiplayer cards? Things like the 1997 Pro Shooter checklist, the 1993-1994 Black Gold "You've Just Won" cards... I personally have them in my Baerga collection but I'm really wondering why I consider them "his card" when here are 10-40 other players on it and he's barely visible...

Yeah, that's pretty much how I am about it. But I did pick up a 1997 Pinnacle Team Pinnacle 10 of 10 card where Thome is 1 of the 18 players on it. Cool looking card with 18 of the best players from early to mid 90's on it.

Latest posts