Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why asking for help to complete sets or particular cards on forums is a double edged sword

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
On one hand, to complete sets these days especially older or HTF lower serial numbered sets the forums can be a great place to get help and some if not most members are willing to try and help out. .

On the other hand, sometimes people will use it as a way to try an extort money. I am not talking about superstars either. I understand people wanting solid prices and even premiums. But when people list cards that no one on earth would care about let alone pay 5 dollars for at 30+ it BLOWS my mind.

Just one example is for me is a football set I have been trying to complete, (I know this is a baseball forum but a good example) Someone reached out to me on the forums (BLOWOUT) and asked what I would pay for a particular card I said I needed for my set. I said I would give him 15 dollars for it, which is probably $13 dollars more than anyone else will ever give them for it. I get radio silence on the other end after my offer, then they proceed to list it on COMC for $39.99 ????????? I am always willing to pay a little above market for cards/items that will help me complete my sets if I need it, but I have a limit where I say screw it, keep your fricking card. BTW this card has sat on COMC now for over 1 year and will probably sit there til the end of time.

Anyone else run into this?

Edit: I understand people wanting to try and make some money but come on....

Last edited:

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
It really is a "help me - help you" scenario in which you can tell a lot about a person's character. For instance if you need a $5 card I have, $10 seems reasonable. $100 card, $125 is probably reasonable.

I've only been on FCB for a short about of time but everyone seems to be pretty solid people on here, unless you're all sandbagging me!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I've seen it yes. It happens to player collectors a lot as well. Fortunately I think that's the exception and not the rule. Most people (especially on these boards) are happy to accept fair value or even a fan friendly discount in many cases. Those tend to outweigh the risk fortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Hell, $15 card I would just give it to you if I had it.

Sorry about your experience.

reminds me that I still haven't mailed two cards I gave away yet. :(

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I've personally had way more positive experiences than negative. I get approached all the time by dealers trying to make a score but that doesn't bother me much. My favorite of all time was when a guy came to me and tried to leverage me against me by saying "you need this card, so does Joe (me) and he offered me ***" and I had never once talked to him in my life. In the end it's all about patience, knowing what you'll pay for something and sticking to it. There are $5 cards out there I'd pay $500 for, there are $1000 cards I'd pay $100 for. The prices I'm willing to pay fluctuates all over the place so the important part is just sticking to your guns, being patient, and enjoying it.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
This is why I only PM members when I see they have something I want and have exactly 10 post count.

-The Lurker

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Sort of like how almost every low-ish numbered Thome or Vizquel on COMC is bought and jacked up in price 800%? Seems like half the transactions on COMC are exactly this scenario. There's a special place in hell for people like that, one where the only cards available are 1991 Fleer and 2013 Triple play.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Sort of like how almost every low-ish numbered Thome or Vizquel on COMC is bought and jacked up in price 800%? Seems like half the transactions on COMC are exactly this scenario. There's a special place in hell for people like that, one where the only cards available are 1991 Fleer and 2013 Triple play.

Whoa whoa whoa... Omar Vizquel is finally getting the due credit he deserves to be among the baseball elite... lol. In all seriousness though if someone wasnt paying these ridiculous amounts then I would agree. But there IS someone paying these unreal prices so at least I can understand the rationale a little more. Albeit still pretty ridiculous.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I agree those people are the exception. Anytime I deal with someone who takes this hobby and makes it all about money, I just move on. People who are really hard core about bv on trades are super annoying too. If i gotta search for a dollar card to make a trade even the keep them. It's fun to me, nothing I'm crazy serious about.......ITS PICTURES ON PAPER PEOPLE!!

dlackey

May 6, 2012
Rose Bud, Arkansas
Is there a thread around here where traders list all of their set needs. I have a bunch myself and maybe if we can get alot of set collectors together, maybe we can get a sticky thread where all list their set needs and help each other out. Just a thought. I send out alot of cards for traders set needs and receive alot as well for free.

Thanks,
Dennis

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
To the OP, I wish you well and hope you are able to finish your set.

Is there a thread around here where traders list all of their set needs. I have a bunch myself and maybe if we can get alot of set collectors together, maybe we can get a sticky thread where all list their set needs and help each other out. Just a thought. I send out alot of cards for traders set needs and receive alot as well for free.

Thanks,
Dennis

I think there is one. If not... not a bad idea

Members online

Latest posts