Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Favorite boxed set card of the late 80s/early 90s and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I bought a lot of those late 80s boxed sets when they were new. This was the tail end of my first wave of collecting, right before I graduated HS and joined the Navy. I would pretty much stop buying new stuff around 1988/89 for the most part and would resurface again in the early 90s just before my hitch was up and I was returning to civilian life. Many of these sets I never opened and although I have obtained numerous duplicates over the years by scouring dollar bins, some sets are still not in my collection and many I have never actually seen all of the cards from. That being said, it is a little hard to pick a favorite from the sets when I actually have not even seen them all, but I will select one that stands out for me anyway.

1986 Topps Woolworth Super Stars
Bill Madlock

This is my favorite boxed set card because for whatever reason I either didn't have or didn't open the set and had not seen the card until a few years ago. Madlock doesn't have many Dodger cards to begin with and I believe this is just a spectacular action shot, reminiscent of the early 70s Topps action cards that I love so much. it is also a fairly decent design, compared to many of those boxed sets. Again, maybe this is because they were less common to me, where as the other designs seem to be dime a dozen, so they appear to be better. A few other designs stand out for me later, but by that time the boxed set craze was dying off.

This was a 33 card boxed set made by Topps and distributed exclusively by retail giant Woolworth. It features a seemingly unpopular border color of yellow and many of the shots were the typical portrait and staged shots, although there are a few decent action shots. The set itself included various league leaders in recent years and although not a great set overall, it was in line with the many specialty boxed sets that were being used to promote stores or to be sold exclusively through certain stores (KayBee, Kmart, Toys R Us, etc). Most seemed to be made by Topps or Fleer, but Donruss would start making their own sets (Updates, Highlights, Rookies) to complete as well.

it is interesting to note that when I researched the set, I found that Woolworth was on the downward slide when these sets were sold. By 1997, Woolworth once the largest department store chain in the world, would close it's last store in the US and as a corporate entity is now know as Foot Locker.

This is a nice article about a number of those sets. http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/a-catalog-of-1980s-baseball-card-boxed-sets/

Attachments

• 78526-19Fr.jpg
    78526-19Fr.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 78526-19Bk.jpg
    78526-19Bk.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 24

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Very easy for me, 1986 Fleer Sluggers vs. Pitchers

Was at a card store back then as a kid and didn't have enough money left over to buy it so I ran back to car and pleaded with parents a little extra money.

Why was I so excited?

Because it was the first and only rookie cards of Joyner, Clark and Incaviglia at that point (Canseco also being included didn't hurt either).

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I'd have to say 1989 fleer baseball mvp.

!B)B90cgCGk~$(KGrHqQOKnUEvyFrmU+(BMLqC!kS9g~~_35.JPG

For some reason the canseco has always stood out to me.

31kvwZ77DOL.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Very easy for me, 1986 Fleer Sluggers vs. Pitchers

Was at a card store back then as a kid and didn't have enough money left over to buy it so I ran back to car and pleaded with parents a little extra money.

Why was I so excited?

Because it was the first and only rookie cards of Joyner, Clark and Incaviglia at that point (Canseco also being included didn't hurt either).

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

If we aren't counting "The Rookies" or sets like that then my answer is a toss up between this and '88 Donruss Baseballs Best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyers16

Aug 21, 2015
Ontario Canada
Gotta be that first KMart set. I remember buying it from a dealer at the first collectibles show I ever attended. I don't recall what I paid for it. Talking to the dealer he told me that he had a store in a nearby city. I was amazed that there was a shop that sold sports cards. This was in the early 80's before the explosion.

The set regardless of it's value is a nice combination of baseball history and Topps history. Great players throughout the set. I couldn't figure out why the 3 event cards were included in the set. They don't fit in with the rest of the set. Until I read the article.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
The Kmart set stands out in my mind also. I did recently purchase a 1990 Yankees Topps TV set. Like [MENTION=4047]mrmopar[/MENTION] said, I am not sure I saw every card in that set. Sometimes I feel like busting the box to thumb through them but I will keep it sealed. For whatever reason these things are being sold a lot cheapier than in the past so maybe I will get a second one to open.

Members online

Latest posts