Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which insert set was popular during your childhood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
For those of us who grew up before the 90s, there's obviously way less choices.

So for me, I have to say those Fleer inserts like Future Hall of Famers and All Stars.

I kind of remember the best cards peaking at low double digits but never being hot.

The Topps Rak Pak inserts were never ever hot or had any value.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
When I started collecting (1985) there weren't that many inserts in regular sets..

Fleer started producing small little subsets and sold them at places like 7-11, Ben Franklin, Pay & Save, Walgreen's, etc..

Topps created the K-Mart, Toys-R-Us, etc..

Donruss created "The Rookies" and oversized cards and stand-up cards as well..

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
In my childhood in the 70s and early 80s we didn't have inserts as we know them today. But the oddball things Topps used to put in packs were hard to find and while not as popular as regular cards it was always cool to see things like 1965 Topps Embosseds or mini posters and things like that.

Skippy100

Sep 21, 2015
A Bo Jackson base card might has well been an insert card back in the late 80's in my school. We didn't know any better. All-star cards also traded among my friends quite frequently.
When the Topps Gold and Gold Winners came along in 1992 we traded those back and forth a bunch.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
In my childhood in the 70s and early 80s we didn't have inserts as we know them today. But the oddball things Topps used to put in packs were hard to find and while not as popular as regular cards it was always cool to see things like 1965 Topps Embosseds or mini posters and things like that.

Yes; growing up during this period of time it was different. So, my favorite during this time was the '70 and '71 Scratch off's. While my favorite player was not included on this checklist I thought these were still really cool (still do...).

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
The Fleer "Rookie Sensations" in 1992 were crazy popular when I was 9 or 10. I saw a Juan Guzman get pulled in a shop and it was a HUGE deal.
As I got a little bit older, 1996 Fleer was popular because you got 1 insert per pack. But for cooler inserts, I will always remember 1996 Pinnacle. (Starburst/Artist Proofs were awesome, as well as all their dufex inserts. My favorite pull was a Brooks Kieschnick "Project Stardom" because of how cool it looked)

CasEjonz

Dec 5, 2015
Taunton, Massachusetts
As a kid in the 70s and early 80sas others stated, there really weren't insert sets, but as the market grew, and higher quality cards were produced, the 1992 Fleer All-Stars, Ultra Award Winners, Rookie Sensations were all huge. 1993 Stadium Club 1st Day Issue were a big deal, even if the player was a common. Of course the early 90s Donruss Elite and Gold Leaf Rookies were highly coveted.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
Fleer All-Stars from 86, 87, 88, 89 Fleer were great. Finding an All-Star on top or bottom was insane. I remember the rack packs finding a Mattingly on top in 1987 and a Seitzer RC on the back and I thought I had a gold mine. Seitzer was what me and my friends would call "I discovered him" before anyone thought he was going to do anything. We all had our "guys" that we thought were "our guys" and that Seitzer '87 Fleer card was awesome.....ahhh the memories.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Fleer All-Stars, Headliners and Future Hall of Famers in the '80s when I started collecting.
Then in high school, the '91 Upper Deck Michael Jordan SP insert of him in the batting cage for the White Sox was hot.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I wasn't on the internet in my childhood (didn't get on it until fall 1990) so I have no idea what the hot inserts or the values of buying/selling them might have been, but my fav was the topps glossy all-stars (and especially when I was able to do a mail-in offer to get a set of them).

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I wasn't on the internet in my childhood (didn't get on it until fall 1990)
You must have been one of the earliest internet users.
The internet as we know it (with actual websites and graphics) didn't begin until 1995 or so. Colleges used a primitive internet before then, and there were the text only message boards like Compuserve or whatever was around back then.

As a kid in the '80s and early '90s, I got all of my information from Beckett and hanging around card shops and shows.

Last edited:

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
'91 Donruss Elite, '91 Leaf Gold Rookies, Fleer Provision's, Score Dream Team, Upper Deck Nolan Ryan / Reggie Jackson inserts, plus, any of the triple image UD cards, even though they weren't inserts, were always a chase. Then, everything in '92 and on is gravy.

Also, the unique to that sport cards were a hit: like someone said, the Bo B&W, the '90 Score R/T Lindross & the Danny Ainge Fleer RC come to mind.

EricTownsend88

Jun 13, 2014
I'm going on 30. When I was a kid the Donruss Elite was the king of kings. Pinnacle Team Pinnacle & Flair Hot Gloves probably came in 2 & 3.

Members online

Latest posts