Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Magazine - 1993

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I commented in another thread (many, in fact) that Baseball Card Magazine was the best card magazine ever, but there was one periodical that only lasted 16 issues that would give them a run for their money in my opinion. Although more directly focused on their brand alone, Topps magazine was a pretty cool package while it lasted. It offered collectors previews on coming products, discussed older issues and had a lot of fun goodies like posters, cards and just a bunch of solid baseball content without a massive amount of ads. Perhaps that was it's ultimate downfall, but for a while, it was the magazine to have.

I have the whole run of this one and came upon a duplicate, so thought I would share some of the cooler features of this issue. This particular issue is #15 and it mentions issue #16 coming next, but did they know at the time that #16 would be the last one? The end of something good was fast approaching and the consumers certainly had no clue, me being one of them.

They usually had 8 free cards in each issue, but in the last 4, they were giving away jumbo rookie cards that were autographed, so instead of 8 cards you got a sheet of 4 and then a jumbo rookie reprint card. I can't say I have seen any of the autographed cards, but then again I wasn't looking either. Topps advertised 50 subscribers would win one (I was not a lucky winner although I was a subscriber) and 50 "or more" being given away at random in a drawing, so these jumbo autographs were not easy and are probably all tucked away in collections by now, but I bet one pops up on ebay now and again. The 4 subjects before the magazine shut it's doors were Ryan, Winfield, Brett and Eckersley. They indicated it was one of four, but you have to wonder if this wasn't going to be a continuing series and oh what the possibilities that could have been!

The pull out poster in this issue was especially cool as well. Reggie Jackson in his HR pose, saluting the infamous candy bar that sported his name. I couldn't really scan the whole thing, but imagine 2 full magazine pages and that is the poster you got. It compliments an article about Reggie as well with a great shot of a variety of Reggie collectibles.

I'm sure [MENTION=10405]Hawk8[/MENTION] has seen this before, but if not, I'm sure you'll like the "Back Page Extra". That was a one page, colorful cartoon featuring a different player each issue. I'd have to check to see if each issue in the run contained one, but I know it definitely ran across several issues. Of course, this issue featured Andre Dawson.

If you have never seen this magazine before and love cards, I suggest you find an issue or the whole set. They are that enjoyable and at 16 issues, won't kill your budget to complete the set. And lastly, I had to include one ad because the Sports Pages were a cool issue themselves. Not as long running as the rival issue of Sports Heroes, Feats & Facts, they were very similar in their design and distribution. I have a bunch of both issues and love them.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I'm sure @Hawk8 has seen this before, but if not, I'm sure you'll like the "Back Page Extra". That was a one page, colorful cartoon featuring a different player each issue. I'd have to check to see if each issue in the run contained one, but I know it definitely ran across several issues. Of course, this issue featured Andre Dawson.

I have never seen that before! I will have to try to find a copy of that! WOW!

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I wasn't sure if I had that Tartabull in my PC, now I have (4) uncut sheets being delivered to my house.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
The Topps Magazine looks like it would be a great read with plenty of other neat collectibles mixed inside.

I really like the pull out poster that you pictured. For some reason I really enjoy seeing shots of a player collection, like the Reggie pictured, with numerous collectibles pictured or a team collection with all types of cards and memorabilia laid out. Probably the same reason I like to view collections in a curio or other type/s of display case.

Also, the cartoon of the Dawson is way cool.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
The Topps Magazine looks like it would be a great read with plenty of other neat collectibles mixed inside.

I really like the pull out poster that you pictured. For some reason I really enjoy seeing shots of a player collection, like the Reggie pictured, with numerous collectibles pictured or a team collection with all types of cards and memorabilia laid out. Probably the same reason I like to view collections in a curio or other type/s of display case.

Also, the cartoon of the Dawson is way cool.

Way cool!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts