Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who is in the HOF but shouldn't be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I find this a much more interesting discussion than who should be in. When it comes to who deserves election, I think the best yardstick is the group of players already selected. Over the decades, with different methods of voting, some choices were made that are, frankly, odd in 2016. Yet, there they are. It then becomes a fair question to ask,"Pie Traynor is in the Hall, Brooks Robinson is in the Hall, and Mike Schmidt is in the Hall, and Brooks and Schmidt were so much better than Traynor, and Ron Santo was pretty comparable to the latter two, so why isn't Santo in the Hall?" And so, over the years, Santo eventually earned enough support to get in. The tragedy was that he didn't live to see it.

There is a great gulf in quality between Traynor and Schmidt/Robinson, IMHO. Yes, you can put it down to the fact that 3Bs in the 30s were not like 3Bs in the 60s and later. It wasn't an "offensive position," and it seemed to be the place where you put shortstops with big arms who weren't quite as mobile as you want them to be. As 1920s 3Bs go, Traynor is as good as it gets. And he was good. a .320 lifetime hitter, very consistent, unless you think a drop from .366 to .298 is inconsistent. Only 58 homers in a golden age of hitting, but some guys just naturally hit line drives. No MVP awards, but finished in the top 10 six times. I've never seen film of him, if it exists, but I recall reading that he was a very good fielder, although the meager stats on BR peg him at about average within his leagues. All around, a career I think anyone reading these boards would love to have had. But he doesn't resonate today. I'm sure even in Pittsburgh very few people talk about the glory days when Traynor patrolled the hot corner or whatever. If you could eject someone from the Hall, or at least group people into higher or lower echelons, I think Traynor would be on everyone's list as a lower echelon guy. Not really a reflection on him, per se, but he just had the misfortune of playing a position that would be redefined in later generations.

Given all the metrics, yardsticks, and comps people use today, who do you think would not merit election? For those who favor a smaller Hall (and not those people who think the Hall should be like 20 guys, or have the opinion that if someone wasn't as good a hitter as Ted Williams he's not a HOFer), where is the line?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Probably half of the guys elected by their buddies on the Veterans Committee. To quote my good friend Wik Ipedia, "Former Giants teammates Terry and Frankie Frisch joined the Veterans Committee in 1967, and aided the elections of several of their former teammates, including Jesse Haines in 1970, Dave Bancroft and Chick Hafey in 1971, Ross Youngs in 1972, George Kelly in 1973, Jim Bottomley in 1974, and Lindstrom in 1976." Add in Travis Jackson, that's a whole mess of old dead Giants and Cardinals with dubious HOF merits.

And then Phil Rizzuto, unless you want to put him in the Money Store HOF.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Anyone who took more than one year to get in, except ***** Leaguers.

I'm very strict, and I would redo the entire voting system.

Ron Santo, Whitey Herzog, those two recent inductees come to mind as glaring examples.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Anyone who took more than one year to get in, except ***** Leaguers.

I'm very strict, and I would redo the entire voting system.

Ron Santo, Whitey Herzog, those two recent inductees come to mind as glaring examples.

So you're removing...

Joe DiMaggio, Cy Young, Rogers Hornsby, Yogi Berra, Carl Hubbell, Lefty Grove, Hank Greenberg, Robin Roberts, Whitey Ford, Eddie Mathews, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Harmon Killebrew, Jimmie Foxx, Ferguson Jenkins, Duke Snider, Mel Ott, Tris Speaker, Juan Marichal, Pie Traynor, Dizzy Dean, Roy Campanella, Bill Dickey and Catfish Hunter.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
So you're removing...

Joe DiMaggio, Cy Young, Rogers Hornsby, Yogi Berra, Carl Hubbell, Lefty Grove, Hank Greenberg, Robin Roberts, Whitey Ford, Eddie Mathews, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Harmon Killebrew, Jimmie Foxx, Ferguson Jenkins, Duke Snider, Mel Ott, Tris Speaker, Juan Marichal, Pie Traynor, Dizzy Dean, Roy Campanella, Bill Dickey and Catfish Hunter.

I said the voting is flawed.

Everyone knows that Joe DiMaggio is a first ballot hall of famer.

Everyone. It's not his fault the voters are jackasses. That's why I said the voting system needs an overhaul. There are people you mention who at first ballot people, and it's clear when you see their name you know they're a first ballot guy. The system has always been flawed, and it's BS.

Overhaul the system and make it a one or done.

You're either a first ballot hall of famer, or you're not a hall of famer at all. That's my view on the matter.

These guys that take several years to get in don't deserve to be in. Not Whitey, not Santo, and many others.

The whole system is a bunch of bull**** and we all know it. The steroid era is creating a ton of problems, and there'sa ton of ignorant voters out there who do **** out of spite.

Make up a system that has set in stone statistics for each position. You reach a set number in the majority of these categories, and you're in, no question. A vote won't be necessary. The human element will be removed. No bias, no ignorant voters holding grudges, no nonsense. You don't, you're out. End of story.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I said the voting is flawed.

Everyone knows that Joe DiMaggio is a first ballot hall of famer.

Everyone. It's not his fault the voters are jackasses. That's why I said the voting system needs an overhaul. There are people you mention who at first ballot people, and it's clear when you see their name you know they're a first ballot guy. The system has always been flawed, and it's BS.

Overhaul the system and make it a one or done.

You're either a first ballot hall of famer, or you're not a hall of famer at all. That's my view on the matter.

These guys that take several years to get in don't deserve to be in. Not Whitey, not Santo, and many others.

The whole system is a bunch of bull**** and we all know it. The steroid era is creating a ton of problems, and there'sa ton of ignorant voters out there who do **** out of spite.

Make up a system that has set in stone statistics for each position. You reach a set number in the majority of these categories, and you're in, no question. A vote won't be necessary. The human element will be removed. No bias, no ignorant voters holding grudges, no nonsense. You don't, you're out. End of story.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS is what YOU typed!
"Anyone who took more than one year to get in"
Quit side stepping, and backpedaling

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS is what YOU typed!
"Anyone who took more than one year to get in"
Quit side stepping, and backpedaling

I stand by it.

Anyone who's not a first ballot entry, bye.

There will be casualties, sadly, because the voting system is flawed.

First ballot or nothing.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I stand by it.

Anyone who's not a first ballot entry, bye.

There will be casualties, sadly, because the voting system is flawed.

First ballot or nothing.

::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::
::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::
::facepalm::::facepalm::
::facepalm::

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois

Especially knowing what we know now about how to measure the value of a player, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

Arbitrary, magical numbers are why guys like Brock are in the hall.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012

You can't do this because as the game evolves, the stats evolve too. IDK what set statistics you had in mind, but if you go by 500 HR or 300 Wins, those milestones are constantly changing as the game changes. Guys who played in the 20's wouldn't even come close to 500 HR who should be in because of the era they played in. We won't see a 300 game winner anytime soon because the game has evolved to where pitchers don't pitch as deep into games as they used too. Does that mean the best pitchers of our generation don't deserve to get in because they didn't get 300 wins? No.

If they are the best players at their position in the era that they played, they should be in.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Its the the Hall Of Fame not the Hall of Very Good

Again this argument makes no sense. It's not called the Hall of Exceptionally Good either. That statement, no matter how many times it is repeated, does not support your's or others' cases.

I also agree with the above regarding eras. The discussions trying to compare eras and players of different eras are some of the most enjoyable things the game allows us. But ultimately you can't, you simply must compare players to their peers when evaluating HOF worthiness. And because you can only compare contemporaries then the whole "steroid era" shouldn't be this complicated. The steroid era is not Lord Voldemort. Pete Rose and Joe Jackson are as well known as any HOFer with a plaque. A museum pretending they don't exist has not protected or made more pure the game of baseball. There will always be a seedy side to any institution involving grown men and large amounts of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest posts