Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player used??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Is player used the same as player worn? Or is it the same as game used? I hate the disingenuous/shady wording they use now. If its only player worn, say that. Like when they say 'event worn', I know its not game used. So what do u guys think?

Last edited:

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
To me, it means it's a shady way to say not game used. They probably wore it at some event for a few minutes.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Considering Panini is using the wording 'player used' for National Treasures cards of rookie-year players they would be unlikely to have a bunch of jerseys of, with TONS of patches of these players, I would suspect they aren't game-worn. Maybe the player used the jerseys to dry off their car after washing it.

Topps' "not from any particular game, event, or season" wording they get a lot of crap for is preferable to simply "player worn" even, since Topps generally will also specifically say "game-used" on the front of the card.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Considering Panini is using the wording 'player used' for National Treasures cards of rookie-year players they would be unlikely to have a bunch of jerseys of, with TONS of patches of these players, I would suspect they aren't game-worn. Maybe the player used the jerseys to dry off their car after washing it.

Topps' "not from any particular game, event, or season" wording they get a lot of crap for is preferable to simply "player worn" even, since Topps generally will also specifically say "game-used" on the front of the card.

It was a Rob Refsynder card, and he did play in a few games for the Yankees this past season, so I wasnt sure. I am now though lol

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
"Worn" implies that it is an object that was on the player's body, such as a jersey, cap, pants, shoes, etc. "Used" is more encompassing, e.g., you can both "use" and "wear" a jersey, but you can only "use" a bat.

So the worn/used distinction seems like one that differentiates between types of items (with "used" broader than "worn), while the game/event distinction exists on a separate plane (with, "event" being broader than "game").

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
In National Treasures this year they are either 'player-used' or 'game-used'.

I think that's all you need to know.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
So this would be player used.. I don't think it was used in a game..

The Mariners had Griffey playing 1st base while he was healing..

glove1.jpg

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So are some of these not even official team-issued jerseys then?
Like the card company can just go to a sporting goods store or online, by a jersey and have the player wear it for a few seconds?
And people spend money on these cards?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
For football rookies, it's generally known none of the stuff is GU'd. But most of Panini's vet relic cards specify game used. To me, they are more transparent than Topps on this front.

And somebody mentioned bat can only be used. Not if they are merely game issued and didn't get used. I think a lot of the bat pieces are more than likely game issued or BP bats...

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I'm fine with Panini's wording. They also specifically state "game used" so I it's not a blanket statement on every card. Isn't that preferable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I used to buy some of my Game Used Jerseys directly from the Mariners Team store and they would have Game Used and Game Issued jerseys..

Game issued jerseys were given to the players, but never used in a game.. maybe for practice, but not for an official game..

Same as Game Used vs Game Issued bats..

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I used to buy some of my Game Used Jerseys directly from the Mariners Team store and they would have Game Used and Game Issued jerseys..

Game issued jerseys were given to the players, but never used in a game.. maybe for practice, but not for an official game..

Same as Game Used vs Game Issued bats..

They have the same thing at minute maid park here. Funny thing is one of the guys running it tried to BS me and tell me they are all potentially game used. He told me just look at the laundry tag to see if it's wrinkled or not. Lol! Obviously some of the jerseys are but only the ones they have up on the wall for sale. I think they wanted a $1000 for the Altuve. But it did have some hellacious dirt stains on it.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'm fine with Panini's wording. They also specifically state "game used" so I it's not a blanket statement on every card. Isn't that preferable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's very preferable. Could they be lying? Yep. But if they do, they'd be in big trouble legally I think. I think topps realized this and that is why they now use such vague wording. All it takes is one disgruntled employee involved with the process and any hurtful secrets could come rolling out. Which is what it would take. None of us could probably find a card with enough substantial evidence indicating it was or wasn't game used.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I hope we don't reach "event hold bat"

I think there are enough bats to go around. I just think that we get a lot more game issued or BP bats in cards. But with the jersey patch cards being made, especially for rookies, those patches(especially if the card features a big piece) would dry up quick.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
They have the same thing at minute maid park here. Funny thing is one of the guys running it tried to BS me and tell me they are all potentially game used. He told me just look at the laundry tag to see if it's wrinkled or not. Lol! Obviously some of the jerseys are but only the ones they have up on the wall for sale. I think they wanted a $1000 for the Altuve. But it did have some hellacious dirt stains on it.

They are potentially game used. An MLB Authenticator has to witness the item being used for it to be authenticated as Game Used.

Lots of team issued items are from when they clear out the clubhouse at the end of the year. Is it likely that some of the jerseys/jackets/hats/etc. were used in a game? Absolutely, but they can't be authenticated as game used.

Members online

Latest posts