Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Offseason $10 project!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Hi All!

While shopping with the wife the other day, I saw tons of these Marvel character shadowboxes everywhere we went.

spiderman-shawdow-box.jpg

I thought they were cool but I'm not a comic book or character guy.

So I browsed through them but no Baseball or Football players. I would have thought that if the company that makes these would have paid Disney for the rights on all the Marvel stuff, you would think they'd do the same for MLB of NFL, NOPE!

So, since I was in the store, I looked at an 14"x11" shadowbox frame; $4.99! SCORE!

Got it home, thought about it for a small bit, then did some photoshop work.

Came up with this background.

background.jpg

The background is a collage of photoshopped Jay Bruce cards that I have made over the years. The background cost $2.99 to print.

Then I grabbed some common Jay Bruce cards, did a small layout on the background.
Here's what we came up with:

wo-frame2.jpg

I picked out the '15 Heritage, my wife picked out the mini '87, my 10yr old picked out the '14 Archives. I didn't want to do just cards, so photoshopped a pic of Jay Bruce batting, the Reds current logo and the name/number/team rectangle. The Jay Bruce batting cost $0.99 to print, the Reds logo and rectangle I printed at home on my dye-sub printer, maybe $0.20 to print.

Now to make them stand out. I had some foam from some packed from Amazon over Christmas, I cut it down to size. Had to use a hot glue gun to make it stick to the background and the card to stick to the foam. I am wondering about the cards curling over time through the different humidity ups and downs over the seasons, but time will tell.

side1.jpg

I didn't want to cut the foam pieces down as I'm going to use the rest of it on another project, so I used some of those dummy inserts people use in mailed cards.

side2.jpg

side-3.jpg

side4.jpg

side5.jpg

All together from top right angle:

side6.jpg

Here it is over top, notice I had to notch the corners at 45 degrees and punch 4 holes, this was so it could mount in the frame.

wo-frame1.jpg

wo-frame2.jpg

In the frame, from the side: The Shadow Effect!

shawdowside2.jpg

And straight on:

front-on-table.jpg

Finally on the wall:

on-wall.jpg

on-wall-2.jpg

on-wall-3.jpg

So for under $10 and about 3-4 hours of time on photoshop and picking up the prints, not too bad.

Oh, those cards underneath you ask? I'll post another under $10 offseason project later in the week.

Hope you all enjoyed this and hope you decide to make one of your own. I think one of Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Jackie Robinson, Cal Ripken or Pete Rose would look really cool.

Thanks for reading,

Fordman

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Very fing cool! Advertise that and make some money. I gotta baby girl on the way and that'd be awesome. I feel I should get a freebie for the suggestion though ;)

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Hey well done! I like both projects but the shadow box is excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Cool!

I would love to find a nice stash of those 3d cards people used to make with an exacto knife. I loved those things.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Thanks Everyone!

Glad you all liked it. Thought it was a cool idea and it really turned out well. My wife loved it when she saw it. She wants me to make one of our son as well. I'll update when I complete it.

Fordman

Members online

Latest posts