Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Riveraveblues: 2016 Yankees Top 30 Prospects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
http://riveraveblues.com/2016/02/2016-preseason-top-30-prospects-132446/

Greetings, everyone. I've posted a link to the Yankees Top 30 Prospect list, courtesy of riveraveblues.com. Mike Axisa authored an informative article regarding the Yankees Top 30 Prospects going into 2016. I found the article to be in depth so I decided to post it here for my fellow Yankees fans and prospect gurus alike.

Enjoy!

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I thought Cessa would be higher

Cessa is pretty good, but I have my doubts about his arsenal. I think that ranking is pretty fair for him. At best he's a #5 starter, but I think he's more suited for the bullpen. There are better options for the Yanks at this point such as Lindgren, Pazos, Webb, Mitchell, Rumbelow, etc. There are just way too many arms and not enough spots.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Does anybody have an opinion about Gary Sanchez besides what is listed? It seems like he's been in the system for years yet I don't hear anything much about a promotion and was surprised to see Murphy before him.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Does anybody have an opinion about Gary Sanchez besides what is listed? It seems like he's been in the system for years yet I don't hear anything much about a promotion and was surprised to see Murphy before him.

Sanchez is certainly no defensive wizard, but he's made necessary strides this past year in order to be an average catcher at the big league level. Sanchez has streaky power. He will have a week where he hits multiple bombs which shows what all the fuss is about, but then he will have awful stretches with ten strikeouts in a week. He has come a long way from a maturity standpoint and last year was the first full year without major injury or controversy.

Sanchez has been around since 2009 when the Yankees signed him so it's basically an old case of prospect fatigue which is why many people rate Judge or Mateo over him. It's hard to believe this will be his 7th season in the system. I see him as a .250 hitter with easy 20 homer potential. It's very rare that you find a catcher that hits for average. Put simply, Sanchez will most likely be the catcher of the future.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Thank you so much for the input. Out of that whole list I am really rooting for Mitchell. He is a friend of a friend so I am anxious for him to put something together. I almost fell off the couch when he got hit in the face last year. I was glad to see him come out of that without any major injuries.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
Cessa is pretty good, but I have my doubts about his arsenal. I think that ranking is pretty fair for him. At best he's a #5 starter, but I think he's more suited for the bullpen. There are better options for the Yanks at this point such as Lindgren, Pazos, Webb, Mitchell, Rumbelow, etc. There are just way too many arms and not enough spots.

I know he is not a big prospect but I had a better idea of him because MLB has him #16 on his Yankees top 30 from the end of last year. I'm just hopping he reaches MLB this year

Latest posts