Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anticipating new years cards as a kid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
By mid 80s, Topps had it's new cards out by Christmas with the other companies to follow.

What are some of your memories?

In late 86, I got an issue of SCD which had previews of 87 Donruss on the cover and I remember dancing and singing a little the mail room.

Another time I recall not believing my friend when he said he saw the new topps cards at a local candy store. I ran there and he was right.

In late 88, I was at a small show and ONE dealer had 89 Topps, seemingly before anyone else in the universe.

He was asking unbelievable prices, like $15 or so for a Jefferies and other crazy prices.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

deadman31

Sep 15, 2010
I remember going to my LCS as a kid around that time and it seemed like they always had new product coming in. Such good times.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Yes, in 1992 Score put out 1993 Score Select in November and people lost their minds. Conversely, 1998 Leaf R&S didn't come out until February or March 1999 and people lost their minds.

I remember the first time I hit the "new cards" scenario, 1982. I had always gotten packs here and there, but 1981 was the first time I was a full-blown collector. I'm pretty sure it was March, 1982, when I was 11, I went to the little magazine shop where I got them and asked for some Topps packs, which they had behind the counter. The lady gave them to me and I noticed they were red instead of green. I said,"Where are this year's (meaning 1981)?" And she said,"These are this year's." Then I noticed the 1982 on the wrapper and freaked out. Instead of 3 or 4 I bought all I could, maybe 10. I was so excited. All these new cards, new photos, new names, new design that I really liked. Must be what it's like stepping up from crack to pure cocaine, or maybe some more positive metaphor that escapes me.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
The corner store where I lived as a kid, would limit the number of packs I could buy. After that, I would ride my bike three miles to the next closest store and could buy as many packs as I wanted there.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
It was early '85 and I remember checking the corner store for the new '85s. I was excited because '84 was the first time I had completed 2 sets by buying packs during the course of the year so the thought of starting the next year was exciting. When I asked the clerk she said if they had them they would be over with the toys. These were those little cheap toys like army men or caps for cap guns and plastic dinosaurs. In this isle I found one rak pack. It was not '85 but a leftover '84 Topps. I actually pulled a Mattingly in this rak pack and still have it to this day.

Members online

Latest posts