Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Baseball Cards and Math

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
24720985469_45dcb248ee.jpg

Kids really enjoyed using them to solve...

Mean
Median
Mode
Maximum
Minimum
Range

...of their player. We talked yesterday about how Babe Ruth himself was an outlier of sorts (his HR totals compare to contemporaries) while Roger Maris' 1961 HR total was an outlier compared to his data.

Fun times.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
Awesome stuff.
I just wish I remember that stuff.
I'll re-learn it in a few years when my boys bring home their homework

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Never really thought about the math before but one thing I do know is that if your a team collector you sure are going to need to know alphabetical order.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Very cool! I'm a numbers guy myself and blame baseball stats for that when I was growing up.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I teach with baseball cards every year. 6 th grade, so we do a lot with decimals and fractions, so among many other things it is a great time to teach batting average and era. Also probability, and ultimately we do pack wars, as I buy a pack for every student and we "battle" for the winning pack (highest combined batting average, (adding decimals, and finding average of decimals). Students usually are crazy for cards, so losing a "war" they do not lose their cards, but winners get something else. I would like to point out that kids these days (I'm generalizing) do not know anything about cards, and besides Mariners, do not know much about any other players in the league. Anything they know has been taught by me for the most part. That's one thing that has been steadily getting worse and worse every year. 29 students this year, exactly 0 know who Mike Trout is. [MENTION=3164]jbhofmann[/MENTION]! Great picture! Students engaged in out-of-the-box lessons, what could possibly be better!!

Last edited:

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
That is great. Keep fighting the good fight!

I teach with baseball cards every year. 6 th grade, so we do a lot with decimals and fractions, so among many other things it is a great time to teach batting average and era. Also probability, and ultimately we do pack wars, as I buy a pack for every student and we "battle" for the winning pack (highest combined batting average, (adding decimals, and finding average of decimals). Students usually are crazy for cards, so losing a "war" they do not lose their cards, but winners get something else. I would like to point out that kids these days (I'm generalizing) do not know anything about cards, and besides Mariners, do not know much about any other players in the league. Anything they know has been taught by me for the most part. That's one thing that has been steadily getting worse and worse every year. 29 students this year, exactly 0 know who Mike Trout is. [MENTION=3164]jbhofmann[/MENTION]! Great picture! Students engaged in out-of-the-box lessons, what could possibly be better!!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I think my love of baseball cards as a 10-12 year old is why I ended up majoring in math in college (though one could just as easily argue that my natural facility and interest in numbers was what drove me to baseball in general and cards in specific). I am trying to get my little guys to start helping me sort cards into a set, first breaking down by hundreds and then tens; they will need to get a little older to start interpreting stats on thee back.