Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Curious of knowledgeable thoughts on this Kris Bryant BC auto issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I wouldn't consider my thought's particularly knowledgeable on this matter. However, I'd say that nothing about this will make topps look good. As a guy who does not collect the newest hottest chrome prospects(I'd much prefer to wait for three to 4 years and buy whatever I want at a significantly reduced price when I know the player will be good), I'll say this:

I think it hurts breakers and collectors monetarily. I don't think topps will, can, or necessarily should get in trouble over it though. People always want the first card. It's kind of weird how we go after rookies at all, but we do. You take a card that predates others on the market and suddenly release it after the fact, it kills the market value. People argue this happens as time goes on and a guy has an auto in 2013, then 2014, and then 2015. But in reality, the 2013 cards(of any random player as this is a made up scenario) would hold the greatest value and not be THAT affected by the release of newer autos. They(the later autos) in effect become cards for those who either don't care what year the auto comes from or can't afford/won't pay for a first year auto. Anything after that year's value would be more determined on the particular popularity of that set(think of a second or third year museum collection on card auto versus a topps strata single color gu auto). But if something from 2013 is released after 2013, when it is thought that what exists currently, is in reality, all there is to be had, it could kill the values of other already existing 2013 autos. If a card value goes down because a guy turns out to be mediocre or gets hurt or whatever, then so be it.

But this is scary because they could theoretically print things at arbitrary times(let's say they print a bunch of Giancarlo(formerly of the Mike variety) Stanton cards from his first BC year, slap some funky colors on it, and then get them signed and say "Oh, hey, guess what? We've got this never released ultra rare colored chrome refractor auto" and shove it in a new product. What's that do to what already exists? I think it would at least be good if people knew out of the gate what will and won't exist because that allows them to decide what they'll pay and the market evens itself out.

Funny someone mentioned it was like topps printing money. They already kind of do that. It's why I am very against online sales of single cards from the manufacturer. All they have to do is print cards up for cheap, slap numbers on them, call them limited, and watch the money roll in. That is a trend I hope never really gets too far off the ground.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
This gives me second thoughts of buying Bowman Chrome. If they aren't actually packing everything, it kills my chances of at least breaking even. They're free to do what they want, but this seems like total BS

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
A couple of ways to look at this.

First, apparently there was no mention of these cards on any sales sheet and it wasn't even known these cards existed until recently.

So knowing that, if Topps never made mention of them, then no one should have expected to have a chance of finding it in a pack. So Topps would be in the clear.

On the other hand, every autograph has tons of parallels and Bryant, like all others, wouldn't be expected to be any different.

To break it down, think like this.
If there's 50 different auto players with 10 different colored refractors listed, no one would expect any of those players to NOT have one or two of colors included.

And to really get into a conspiracy theory, ONE can imagine that topps purposely and knowingly kept these behind because they have no plans on honoring many super high end redemptions which would cost a ton more .

For instance, say that Mays told topps no more autos, yet they kept inserting redemptions in various products even though topps know they would never be made and would be replaced with these Bryant which cost a lot less than Mays, koufax, trout, etc.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yes, these were not supposed to theoretically exist. So nobody should have expected them.

However, that does affect what already exists price wise.

As for topps possibly making redemptions for cards they feel they have no chance to really make and then pulling a bait and switch, it is possible. But really, it's an unprovable possibility unless the wrong person became disgruntled and spills the beans. Kinda the same scenario with the game used stuff.

Somehow I don't think topps sits around all day cooking up ideas to mess over collectors or the hobby in general. But I think they make business related decisions. And I think it is possible they could use these for redemption fulfillment for other cards. They may even feel they are doing collectors a favor, sending them a graded unreleased card of a super hot player. Which in their mind, should make people happy, and save them money in the process. I do think saying they did this for the sole purpose of not honoring high end redemptions is a bit much though. They can choose how to fulfill redemptions based on their own methods. They don't necessarily have to feel obligated to "take care" of someone. To think they do or would doesn't make any business sense.

Members online

Latest posts