Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Babe Ruth Bat barrel..........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I had the opportunity to go to the Louisville Slugger factory and museum this past weekend and saw something pretty cool for a baseball fan like me. If you have never been there there is a signature wall that is located just outside of the gift shop that has to be several yards long and at least 8 feet tall. When I got closer to the wall I realized that the wall consisted of a bat barrel of any player that ever signed a contract with Louisville Slugger and played in the major leagues. Of course I had to find the Babe's and others but the wall was just incredibly impressive when one realizes that the wall was filled with actual bat barrel impressions of many greats and not so greats.

If you ever get down that way I suggest a visit as it was worth the few hours we hung around there.

I did have one negative thought......could a card company purchase these types of bat barrels and pass them off as original on cards. I would hope this would never happen but I have learned to say never.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• slugger.JPG
    slugger.JPG
    466.3 KB · Views: 216
  • bat brands.jpg
    bat brands.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 215

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I loved that they kept all the brands as well. I was always curious when they didn't display those more.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Could topps or someone else do it....sure they could. It's all about doing your own research when it comes time to purchase a card like it. If you aren't comfortable with what you find then don't buy.

Looks like a fun trip! Thanks for sharing

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I did have one negative thought......could a card company purchase these types of bat barrels and pass them off as original on cards. I would hope this would never happen but I have learned to say never.
I'm sure there are already tons of cards with store model barrels and bat pieces that Topps and other companies either bought unknowingly (or purposefully), or didn't do the research to authenticate them. I just don't trust high end "game used" cards.

Cool barrell wall though, and great thread.

stokelydokely

Oct 21, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
I LOVED the tour when I visited a few years ago. More importantly though, I was with five other people whose baseball fandom ranged from non-existent to lukewarm (they were just humoring me on a cold autumn afternoon) and they also had a blast. Between taking a couple swings with the game-used bats, the lively exhibits, the factory tour, and the batting cages, a great time was had by all.

Ruth-Relevant Bonus: In the gift shop, they had a cart full of factory-miscut bats for $20. Among the stacks (and stacks) of Josh Hamiltons was one beautiful, deep brown Hillerich & Bradsby Babe Ruth bat with gold lettering and career stats and only the smallest of imperfections. I briefly questioned the practicality of purchasing a bat that I would never actually use, but my (now) wife assured me that it would be an excellent use of 20 bucks.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
We took the tour a couple years ago and had a great time.

Actually got to talk to the museum director, as I noticed that my grandfather's nameplate wasn't on the wall.

Fun fact: when they moved the museum to its new location, they "lost" a box of 500 or so nameplates, and only found it after the wall was completed. Among those were several prominent players, including Mel Ott. They are trying to figure out a way to incorporate the missing plates.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
They also gave us a tour of the bat vault that you can see through the hallway windows. I got to hold the template used for making my grandpa's bats. It was a pretty awesome experience.

1460400323774.jpg

Members online