Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bartolo Colon's Topps Now card shatters sales records

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Not a surprise to me-it was talked about in the mainstream news and on Twitter yesterday all day. Barstool and others blogged about it saying it was a must own.

Definitely a outliner situation IMO where it crossed over into the mainstream just because of the situation.

Thanks,
Jeff

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
mlb.com also had an article about this "historic" card and how Topps felt the need to drop all the presses and make a card immediately, something they've never done before. What they failed to mention was that Topps has been doing it all year, seemingly every day, as that was the entire purpose of this product.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
This is the sort of thing Topps Now should be meant for, IMHO. Not "so-and-so team won on a walk-off homer," which seems to be what a third of the cards cover.

And despite the print run, it's pre-selling really well on ebay, $15+.

Last edited:

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
not sure if everyone else forgot but i did until i saw all the tweets after his homerun that he was a PED user. lol its funny how you completely forget something like that when its a mediocre player.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I think making or at least offering cards from each day through the season isn't a problem at all. At least it's transparent to what you are purchasing vs. a pack etc, so it's completely up to how many people want it as to what's printed. Now do I 100% agree some of the "Moments" aren't "WOW", sure, but I think there is a niche for these. I'd like to almost have them have a vote for what card(s) get made each day to be a lil' interactive, but the concept is there. Curious how they are doing $ wise with it. There are def costs involved to maintaining it. Overall it's something different that the market determines, at a fairly low cost, good idea IMO.

Ryan

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I think making or at least offering cards from each day through the season isn't a problem at all. At least it's transparent to what you are purchasing vs. a pack etc, so it's completely up to how many people want it as to what's printed. Now do I 100% agree some of the "Moments" aren't "WOW", sure, but I think there is a niche for these. I'd like to almost have them have a vote for what card(s) get made each day to be a lil' interactive, but the concept is there. Curious how they are doing $ wise with it. There are def costs involved to maintaining it. Overall it's something different that the market determines, at a fairly low cost, good idea IMO.

Ryan

i agree its a good idea but feel the restrictions on what justifies a card should be tighter. i wonder how many people are buying one of each. i think a full set of the seasons cards would be interesting.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
i agree its a good idea but feel the restrictions on what justifies a card should be tighter. i wonder how many people are buying one of each. i think a full set of the seasons cards would be interesting.

If you can get them by buying bulk/selling off etc and doing a set for $5/under a card, it could be nice. Not that $10/card isn't doable by those with the $, just could add up.

My point of them being daily is, Topps needs to 1) keep it going , and it'll it's weeks between big events, it's hard to stay motivated and 2) need to make it worth the $ invested in the marketing etc, so these eh moments help pay for that

I totally undercard your point, but No Hitter, Multi HR Games to start careers, 42 Year Old first HRs are few and far between.

Ryan

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I'm buying 20 a day and keeping 2 to make sets. I'm preselling them on release day @ $7 each and if you buy them via prepaid plan, they are 50cents cheaper...it's been fun, some sell good, some just sit but yesterday had a bunch sell.
Topps seems to print them in bunches, I'm ordering everyday, but they seem to ship them in bunches, I'm due to get 10 players on Thursday, as I've gotten up to card 35. They shipped me #39 before card #36 .

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
agree, Topps is taking full advantage of the money grab program. I assumed it was going to be reserved for really special occurrences. Instead theyre putting out cards for guys who fart while they strike out.

Or so and so throws 1 hit, 12 K's while being treated for genital warts.

Members online

Latest posts