Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS vs PSA. Opinions wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GriffeyFan24

Apr 22, 2016
I am hoping for some honest opinions.
I want to protect this card - 1998 Donruss Red Crusade Griffey.
I am thinking of sending this card in for grading. Can some of you let me know which service you would use.. PSA or BGS and why?
Where have you guys sent off your Crusades? How do you guys clean off the surface of the Crusade prior to sending in (I have heard of lens cloths).

Thanks for the help!

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I know there are some pretty knowledgeable people on here that could guide you in the right direction, but I personally prefer PSA. I know other like BGS. but to me it seems the crusades do well through PSA from what I see. Just my opinion.

I have sent some of the precious Metals cards I had from the 90's to PSA and BGS and with PSA I get a 10 and BGS they come back a 9.5

As for cleaning the card, my wife has some Chanel Sun glasses so I use the lens cleaner in her case when she isn't looking!! LOL Actually that is being serious and not a joke. HAHA

Last edited:

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
PSA is better in my opinion. I do not even own a Beckett graded card though. All my stuff is PSA graded other than the few SGC graded pre-war cards I have.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
To be honest with you, with that particular card, buyers are paying for the scarcity and demand of it... not necessarily the condition. Getting it graded is not going to boost the sale value any higher, and you are risking something happening in transit to your $5,000-$10,000 card.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
PSA for too many reasons to mention. I am biased but I cannot believe anyone with a decent hobby knowledge would ever submit with BGS and especially BVG

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
To be honest with you, with that particular card, buyers are paying for the scarcity and demand of it... not necessarily the condition. Getting it graded is not going to boost the sale value any higher, and you are risking something happening in transit to your $5,000-$10,000 card.

while I would tend to agree with you on many cards that are scarce. I think it does help certain cards. If this card comes back a Gem Mint I would think it would increase the value. For example.. The 96 Mirror Gold Jeter Gem sold for 30K plus. I would think the high grade was a reason for the higher premium on that card.

mrangrydonut

Nov 27, 2009
I posted this question on another thread earlier today but saw you were looking to protect a special card and thought I would ask ... Are you looking to get a grade and authentication on the card or are you looking only for superior protection of the card? If there were a way to 'slab' cards at home would that be something that would work for you? I know I've always wanted to put my cards in sealed cases without the big expense that comes with grading and also give some uniformity to how my collection is displayed.

Members online