Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hot List: Memorial Day Style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
It's been a while since the last list. Here to catch us up let's start with a reverse order list of hot memorial day items.

#5 Johnsonville Bratwurst - Few things are better than the simplicity of a Bratwurst, hoagie roll and a thin line of yellow mustard. You guys who put ketchup on these are dead to me. Also, who knew you could buy cases of this stuff on ebay?

#4 The Big Green Egg - These ceramic back yard jacks of all trade are well worth the high price tag. I feel uncomfortable using anything else. Gas grills are for convenience only. If you wanna do it right, you gotta get down with some wood.

#3 Sam Adams Blackberry Wit - Or really your beer of choice. I just put that because it's the one I am drinking right now as I write this article. Please ignore the typos and blame the alcohol and not the writer.

#2 Overwatch - TF2 heads rejoice you now have a fast paced, fun first person shooter to play and a three day weekend in which to do it. Screw going outside, that's for people who can't git gud.

#1 Those Who Gave All - This is more important than anything we do here on this website about baseball cards. We as citizens are forever grateful to those who gave their lives so that others may have one.

Now, let's move onto the sports cards. It's been a really eventful baseball season thus far. Rookie standouts, bench clearing brawls and a Jake Arrieta no hitter have made baseball pretty exciting. The Hot List is still mostly prospects.

#1 0 Julio Urias 2014 Bowman Chrome Autographs -Having all this young talent on the big stage is fun isn't it? The hot list has always been dominated by minor league players as prospectors scoured reports from the minors to see who was standing out. These days the call up and subsequent performance is what gives you the big bump. Then you have the times where a prospect gets called up and does not do well as is the case with Urias. Curiously though the cards still rose and that is why I have him on this list. His call up was so hotly anticipated he got a bump from getting called up and beat.

urias.jpg

#9 Aldemys Diaz Items - It's a shame the guy does not have a chrome autograph right now. It would be really really expensive. The fact that all he has is a 2014 Cardnials minor league card holds him back from being higher. If he had a chrome autograph he would probably be ranked in the top 3. Still you can't ignore when a team issued minor league card of a prospect hits $10. You also can't ignore this cracked game used bat selling for $1,100.

aldemys.jpg

#8 Clayton Kershaw Autographs - He's in another one of those "out of his mind" stretches of his career where it seems like he just can't be hit. This former darling of the prospecting world is putting together a Cooperstown style resume. That coupled with a drying up in the supply of his 2006 Bowman Chrome Autograph have it up $100 to $400. Graded copies are more readily available but will cost you even more. It's safe to assume that if you see one not in a slab at this point that it's been popped out of one before because of a poor grade.

kershaw.jpg

#7 MTG Eternal Masters Booster Box - It's summer so that must mean it's reprint set time. Strong cards like Force of Will, Jace the Mindsculptor, Wasteland and Mana Crypt have these boxes that started out at $200 after release up a bill to $300. I for one can't wait to get some drafting in as it looks like you will be able to build enchantress in limited.

eternal masters.jpg

#6 Nolan Arenado Bowman Chrome Autographs - When I see the end prices of Arenado chrome autographs I get a little queasy. I had a MASSIVE stash of these back in the day. I more than doubled my money when I sold having bought in at $10 per base but seeing them at $150 per base is just insane. These are up almost $50 since the start of the season and could climb higher as he chases a home run title.

arenado.jpg

#5 Byung Ho Park Finest Autographs - Light tower power have propelled this autograph to the $25 range with parallels /25 fetching $200. When he makes contact everyone takes notice as his shots average about 420 feet. He's been an all or nothing guy as he strikes out a ton and at the age of 29 I don't see that changing. Look for these to cool off in the long run.

park.jpg

#4 Jackie Bradley Jr Bowman Chrome Autographs - Congratulations prospectors who still have Bradley stuff, you did it. You convinced yourself he was good, dug in for the long winter and finally made the money you were looking for out of these cards. You can now redeem your bowman chrome autographs for the $85 you earned. You can thank Jackie and his all star worthy stat line.

bradley.jpg

#3 Steven Matz 2009 Bowman Chrome Autographs - Matz is absolutely fearless. He's also one of the front runners for this years top rookie award. After his first rocky start he's not looked back as he dominates the national league. the stat on him that is just eye popping is his 50 strike out to 9 walk ratio. Keep that up and you are on the short list for a CY Young award as well as the ROY. At any rate, he's your newest $100 chrome autograph.

matz.jpg

#2 Nomar Mazara Chrome Autographs - What is it about Texas and big sluggers? I know one thing, guys with frames like Nomar and Joey Gallo make me think that the slogan "Don't Mess with Texas" is no joke at all. He's having a dream season hitting well over 300 with power. Looking at these rookie stat lines I wonder how many we will see in the all star game. Seems like every where you turn there are guys that deserve a shot like Nomar, Matz and Ademys. Nomar's chrome autos are as hot as Garciaparra stuff from the 90's during his prime as prices have doubled from $50 to $100. Funny how that $100 chrome autograph keeps popping up.

nomar.jpg

#1 Trevor Story Bowman Chrome Autographs - His cards have cooled since his white hot start. That doesn't take away from how big the impact to the sports card market that run was. Over the span of a couple of weeks his cards went from $300 for a Gold Refractor BGS 9.5 to $1250 for the same card. Even with his cool down the gold refractors are down to $850. This is some Albert Pujols, Mike Trout type of helium. This is why prospecting can fun, you never know when this kind of swing is going to happen.

story.jpg

Attachments

• park.jpg
    park.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 37
  • matz.jpg
    matz.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 36
  • aldemys.jpg
    aldemys.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 39
  • nomar.jpg