Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Latest on Officer Powell, Guy Who Pulled Over Moats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Looks like Moats wasn't the first power trip Powell has taken, and that he's been a little excessive before. Plus itt was even with another NFL player. Maybe he has a thing against football players, lol. This Powell guy sucks at life, is a disgrace to the badge he claims to serve, and should be fired.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/29/moats-c ... omas-wife/

Robert Powell, the police officer who detained Texans running back Ryan Moats last week, also arrested the wife of former Cowboys linebacker Zach Thomas last year, according to the Dallas Morning News.

Maritza Thomas was issued five tickets, four of which were later dismissed, after she was stopped for making an illegal U-turn last July. Thomas was handcuffed, placed in the back of a police cruiser, spent about three hours in the Dallas County Jail and was threatened with the possibility of spending the night behind bars. The charges that were dropped were failure to show proof of insurance, running a red light, having an improper address on a driver’s license and not having a registration sticker on the windshield.

Thomas was traveling with her mother, Teresa Lozano, who speaks little English and offered to go home to retrieve the proper paper work for the latter charges. At that point, Powell “unbuckled his holster.” Lozano later shared a ride with the tow truck operator and posted bail for Thomas.

“This in no way compares to what happened to Ryan Moats and his family,” said Zach Thomas. “But we wanted to tell our story, not knowing how many others have been affected by Officer Powell. We know the vast majority of the Dallas police force are good and professional people, but this guy just seems excessive.”

vaughn

Mar 31, 2009
Oxford,Ms
that video is so hard to watch... Ryan Moats should be given a medal for his restraint in that situation b/c i can't say i would've been so cool under that kinda stress. His behavior was commendable. Unfortunately, he was unable to see his mother in law before she passed and be with his wife during that time. It's unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable. And then how the officers carry on b/s'ing about past car chases. WOW, im just SOOOO glad they had audio with their video. It's amazing that dash cam didn't get deleted.

Also, if you havent seen the good morning america interview with Ryan and his wife, you need to. They aren't seeking a civil suit and even accepted the officer's INDIRECT apology since he has yet to directly contact them. They seem trully like your All-American family and it's a shame what they went through. There's no way ofc. Powell will retain his badge, it won't happen.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
vaughn said:
that video is so hard to watch... Ryan Moats should be given a medal for his restraint in that situation b/c i can't say i would've been so cool under that kinda stress. His behavior was commendable. Unfortunately, he was unable to see his mother in law before she passed and be with his wife during that time. It's unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable. And then how the officers carry on b/s'ing about past car chases. WOW, im just SOOOO glad they had audio with their video. It's amazing that dash cam didn't get deleted.

Also, if you havent seen the good morning america interview with Ryan and his wife, you need to. They aren't seeking a civil suit and even accepted the officer's INDIRECT apology since he has yet to directly contact them. They seem trully like your All-American family and it's a shame what they went through. There's no way ofc. Powell will retain his badge, it won't happen.

While I think the cop may have been a little out of line...I think ultimately Moats cost himself precious time.I know he had to have been under tremendous stress but he cost himself a lot more time than necessary.I would hazard a guess that if I did the same exact thing it would actually take even longer to sort out.I am actually surprised it went down as quick as it did.His lack of restraint is really what cost him.You may not like the cop or what they are telling you to do but last time I checked...you don't get a choice.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
J-Rod said:
man i would have run inside as well thats ridiculous

You can't.That would have been monumentally the dumbest thing he could have done.Because what happens then is the cops chases him...tackles him(if he could...Moats is a pretty stout fella) and then handcuffs him and puts him in the back of the squad car.This would have ruined any chance of him even thinking about trying to see his mother in law.As it is...his mouth actually cost him those final moments anyway.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
predatorkj said:
J-Rod said:

You can't.That would have been monumentally the dumbest thing he could have done.Because what happens then is the cops chases him...tackles him(if he could...Moats is a pretty stout fella) and then handcuffs him and puts him in the back of the squad car.This would have ruined any chance of him even thinking about trying to see his mother in law.As it is...his mouth actually cost him those final moments anyway.

Well, Moats' mouth cost him initially, but the officer's lack of professionalism is going to cost him. An officer who is professional would not have let Moats' behavior affect his decision especially after Moats calmed down and agreed to everything the officer said.

vaughn

Mar 31, 2009
Oxford,Ms
how can you guys say "his mouth" cost him, are you kidding me?

you guys MUST be joking. Have you ever rushed a frantic person to a hospital to try and catch a glimpse of their mother moments before she dies? can you imagine the freakin feeling that must feel like... i mean, a freakin nurse came out and told the officer what was going on and the cop STILL wanted to lecture moats like he was some 7 year old child.

Typical cop. D student who got picked on his whole life now wants to lecture people in moments of crisis. That video makes me sick to my stomach, it literally, no joke, makes my stomache turn at how inhumane people can be.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
vaughn said:

you guys MUST be joking. Have you ever rushed a frantic person to a hospital to try and catch a glimpse of their mother moments before she dies? can you imagine the freakin feeling that must feel like... i mean, a freakin nurse came out and told the officer what was going on and the cop STILL wanted to lecture moats like he was some 7 year old child.

Typical cop. D student who got picked on his whole life now wants to lecture people in moments of crisis. That video makes me sick to my stomach, it literally, no joke, makes my stomache turn at how inhumane people can be.

I agree with that. I think the cop should have let Moats go after he calmed down and especially after nurses and another cop told the cop to let him go.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
vaughn said:

agree all the cops in my town are losers who got picked on in highschool and now feel they are all mighty when in reality there still little punks..and i know its not like that everywere because their are alot of cops that i respect and like, but certain ones like this officer powell who really piss me off

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Cop who stopped NFL player in hospital lot resigns
1 hr 33 mins ago
DALLAS – A Dallas police officer who detained an NFL player in a hospital parking lot while the player's mother-in-law was dying inside has resigned.

An attorney for Officer Robert Powell said Powell resigned Wednesday over the March 18 incident in which he drew his gun and threatened Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats.

Powell stopped Moats' SUV in the Plano parking lot after the vehicle rolled through a red light. Moats' wife, Tamishia, and other relatives were also in the car.

Moats' mother-in-law died while Powell was ticketing and lecturing him. Powell later issued an apology, which Moats accepted.

The resignation was first reported by Dallas-Fort Worth television station KTVT.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
lisu said:
predatorkj said:
J-Rod said:

Well, Moats' mouth cost him initially, but the officer's lack of professionalism is going to cost him. An officer who is professional would not have let Moats' behavior affect his decision especially after Moats calmed down and agreed to everything the officer said.

Even though I do agree that the officer went out of line here(I will not disagree with anyone here about that because it would be stupid on my part to do so) Moats isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.I guess it boils down to :You'd better be careful who you piss off.Most people are a lot more understanding and are not this cold hearted.But its best to realize exactly where you stand and your place in the world in certain situations.You piss any cop off on any given night of the week...you could be in for a world of hurt.Trust me when I tell you that cops aren't always the nice guys.And if they decide to take you to somewhere and beat the dog mess out of you...what are you going to do about it?Their word will be taken over yours unless there is in fact a camera.And I would hazard a guess a lot of stuff happens off camera.

It may be wrong but anyone who tries to give someone with the authority of total control over them a problem is an idiot and I mean idiot with a capital I!You pick and choose your battles.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
vaughn said:

Now you're making assumptions.We don't know this cops entire history so saying things like this is more than telling about the person who says them.Yes I have rushed a frantic person to a hospital.My grandfather for your info.He was in the middle of a heart attack and we would have been quicker than an ambulance so we made the dash.I drove while my mother stayed in the back with him.Did I run any red lights?No.I knew time was of the essence and knew damn good and well if I did something dumb like get pulled over or get into an accident...it would cost me precious time.A grown man is supposed to not freak out.You're supposed to assess the situation and take the best course of action.Not just do whatever the heck you think you're entitled to do.

As for the nurse and the other cop...may I remind you they did not intervene until the situation was almost completely over.And even with what they said to the officer, nobody was as specific as they could have been.For all the officer knew...they got a call and just thought she may be nearing the end.Not that she was actually in the middle of dying.

I think the main problem here is between the news media and the newspapers and all the bleeding hearts...they want to make it sound like bloody murder.They leave out a lot of facts.Here in Houston they actually just mentioned the officer pulled his gun on the Moats family as they pulled into the parking lot.They made no mention of anyone jumping out of the car.They also made it seem like the nurse was out there in the first few seconds pleading with the officer.None of this went down like this and for me I guess it really opens my eyes to just how deceiving and twisted the media can make an event seem to be.It makes me wonder what really happens around the world if they will twist something like this so bad.

vaughn

Mar 31, 2009
Oxford,Ms
wow so your grandfather was having a heartattack and you were stopping and sitting at red lights? WOW

To accuse the media of twisting facts and deception is pure lunacy. Police Chief Kunkle would you like to chime in?:

"I am embarrassed and disappointed by the behavior of one of our police officers."
"His behavior in my opinion, did not exhibit the common sense, discretion, the compassion that we expect our officers to exhibit.”

How about the Moats Mr. Police Chief?

“They exercised extraordinary patience, restraint, dealing with the behavior of our officer. At no time did Mr. Moats identify himself as an NFL football player or expect any kind of special consideration. He handled himself very, very well.”

I have no idea what world you live in, but it's clearly not the world the rest of America lives in.

vaughn

Mar 31, 2009
Oxford,Ms
Now ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Conway Twitty;

[youtube:1k35ejp1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNwT5jXcGD0[/youtube:1k35ejp1]

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
vaughn said:
Now ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Conway Twitty;

[youtube:2bgz8d7c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNwT5jXcGD0[/youtube:2bgz8d7c]
:lol: Gotta love the Family Guy references.

I read another story on this guy where he was talking about people drinking and driving. He said something along the lines of "You can't walk. You can't drive right. You don't speak English. You're going to jail." YOU DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH. Wouldn't Dallas have a decently sized Spanish speaking community? Hell, even if there's only one, there's no call for that.

I know he resigned, but you watch him get a nice pension package or something so that he's taken care of. It will go nicely with his paid leave up until this point.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
vaughn said:
wow so your grandfather was having a heartattack and you were stopping and sitting at red lights? WOW

To accuse the media of twisting facts and deception is pure lunacy. Police Chief Kunkle would you like to chime in?:

"I am embarrassed and disappointed by the behavior of one of our police officers."
"His behavior in my opinion, did not exhibit the common sense, discretion, the compassion that we expect our officers to exhibit.”

How about the Moats Mr. Police Chief?

“They exercised extraordinary patience, restraint, dealing with the behavior of our officer. At no time did Mr. Moats identify himself as an NFL football player or expect any kind of special consideration. He handled himself very, very well.”

I have no idea what world you live in, but it's clearly not the world the rest of America lives in.

Dude...you confuse me.So what if the police chief came out and did damage control.What exactly does that prove other than then covering their ass?I am not sure how its even relevant.Who cares.Its damage control.

And I am sure we got a lot of coverage down here that was not nation wide.Most of the reports only mention the worst sounding details.In fact like I said, one of the reports only mentions that Powell pulled his gun on Moats and his family.A severe portion of the details were left out.I know even with an unbiased opinion, if you watch the whole video of the dash cam, the newspaper really ran with the negatives and left the entire story to the wayside.

Members online

Latest posts