Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 MLB Draft Official Discussion Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
As I like to do each year, this thread is created to discuss everything draft related.

Which player(s) are you most looking forward to seeing where they're drafted?

For me:

1) Cody Sedlock - local Illini kid with a great pitch arsenal. He probably won't be drafted as high as Tyler Jay was last year, but he's very likely to be their second 1st rounder in as many years.

2) Corey Ray - been high on him for some time now, very toolsy and still in the discussion to go 1-1. Has all the attributes to move quickly through the minors.

3) Jordan Sheffield - have a nice 2011 Bowman Draft stash which I've been holding onto what seems like forever, hoping he's drafted by a high market team that sees his potential. All that's standing in his way is his control, really.

Discuss!

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I'm really interested to see where William Benson falls. Yes, he's incredibly raw from a skill standpoint, but he reminds me of another Heyward.

I also want to see what the Yankees decide to do. It seems like they're leaning towards a high school arm, but there are a lot of college bats available when they pick at 18. Hopefully they do with a bat and take Will Craig.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Cal Quantrill- good Canadian kid, huge potential. Could easily have been 1-1 material if he had played more. I doubt he drops to the Jays @ 21.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
From the rumor mill:

* Strongest buzz I have yet today is the #Rockies are all over Riley Pint at 4. Seems like their #1 target. #MLBDraft

* Still hearing #Phillies will either take AJ Puk or Mickey Moniak. That hasn't changed much.

* Hearing the #Orioles may be locked onto Joe Rizzo w/ their first pick. Also on Connor Jones but Rizzo rumor is strong #MLBDraft

* Hearing the #Cardinals could land prep bat Walker Robbins with one of their picks in the 30s. #MLBDraft

* Still hearing #WhiteSox heavily on @HailStateBB righty Dakota Hudson. Collins I still think is play but Hudson getting buzz there

* #Yankees still getting lots of buzz linked to Will Craig & Buddy Reed. Still think they'd love for Alex Kirilloff to make it them #MLBDraft

* If Puk goes 1 the #Reds will pick between Kyle Lewis & Nick Senzel. Teams behind them not sure where they lean yet between those 2 #MLBDraft

* Word is that Groome could be in freefall today & asking price is huge. Teams like Atlanta think if they can save $ early he's in play later

* #Dodgers reportedly think Dakota Hudson may fall to them at 20. Not sure I buy that but he's their top target right now #MLBDraft

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
If not Ray I wouldn't mind them taking Kyle Lewis but I'm hearing reports that the Braves may no longer be interested in him.

I just have this feeling that the Braves will end up going with a pitcher, as they seemingly do every year. Now I'm hearing they could end up going with Ian Anderson to save money...please don't. Not another High School pitcher. College bat, college bat, college bat!!!

Mark Bowman believes it'll likely be Ray or Anderson that they go after. I sure hope it will be Ray.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Mickey Moniak seems to have picked up a lot of steam with these mock drafts.

I'd pass on Pint. Sure, he can hit triple digits with his fastball but apparently he's got mechanics issues that will lead to problems finding the strike zone. Command (and the ability to locate pitches) is so much more important than velocity.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Mickey Moniak seems to have picked up a lot of steam with these mock drafts.

I'd pass on Pint. Sure, he can hit triple digits with his fastball but apparently he's got mechanics issues that will lead to problems finding the strike zone. Command (and the ability to locate pitches) is so much more important than velocity.
Have you found that out the hard way watching the D-Backs this year? ;)

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
The lone exception being Zack Greinke. It just sucks that we had to drop a couple hundred million in order to find a pitcher without command issues.

Who do you want the Sox to take with their #1 pick?
For arms, either Braxton Garrett or Ian Anderson....for a bat, Nolan Jones. I do hope we take a pitcher though, hopefully not one as raw as Trey Ball was.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
For arms, either Braxton Garrett or Ian Anderson....for a bat, Nolan Jones. I do hope we take a pitcher though, hopefully not one as raw as Trey Ball was.

They should have a good shot at Anderson just as long as the Braves don't decide to take him in order to save cash. The Braves would like to be able to take him with their supplemental pick instead but there is no way he's still available by the time the 40th pick comes around. I've heard Matt Thaiss name connected as a possible #1 pick for the Sox but I think that would be a mistake. Braxton would be a very good find if he falls to them. Has a nasty curveball with above average command of the strike zone.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
We're only 20 minutes into the pre-show, and Harold Reynolds is already annoying the piss outta me.

"Hey (player name), it's Harold here!".

Ugh.

And what's up with just two players attending the draft in the studio this year? (Ian Anderson & Will Benson)

Latest posts