Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ichiro getting closer to 3'000 ***** Will his stuff take off again!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...o-suzuki-heating-up-on-approach-to-3000-hits/

Suzuki went 3-for-5 with an RBI and a run in Wednesday's loss to the Twins.
Last season, Ichiro managed just a .229 average -- his fourth straight season under .300 -- and looked like he'd have to crawl on his hands and knees to reach 3,000 hits. This year, he's stunned the world (well, at least the baseball world) with a .330 batting average at the tender age of 42, and he's now only 29 hits away from that prestigious milestone. Considering that the slap-hitting outfielder didn't come to the majors until he was 27 years old, that's one heck of an accomplishment, and when you add his Japan Pacific League hits to his MLB total, he now owns a stunning 4,249 professional hits -- only seven short of the amount accumulated by all-time MLB hits leader Pete Rose.

ichiro.jpg

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
They're playing the Pads next week. He won't reach 3000 by then but I'll probably check out one of those games. Only have one auto in my PC. Need to add at least one more.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
People always ask this about milestones and HoF induction, and the answer is almost always "No." By the time someone gets to one of these plateaus, they've already had all the big jumps in value they're going to get. Their stuff might continue a slow trickle upward, but the hype is long gone. The only spike for players near retirement is if something happens that gets them huge mainstream media attention, bringing in loads of casual and non-collectors (see: Topps Now Bartolo Colon).

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
People always ask this about milestones and HoF induction, and the answer is almost always "No." By the time someone gets to one of these plateaus, they've already had all the big jumps in value they're going to get. Their stuff might continue a slow trickle upward, but the hype is long gone. The only spike for players near retirement is if something happens that gets them huge mainstream media attention, bringing in loads of casual and non-collectors (see: Topps Now Bartolo Colon).

I was going to disagree with this until I re read and saw the bolded statement. When Griffey was inducted, his stuff has seen a pretty sizeable bump. Not that it wasn't already pretty high but his Raw Upper Deck RC's so a pretty good jump.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side

This is pretty much what I believe. Prices will generally never be as high as they were when a player was in their prime years. When they get older the excitement fades and everyone is off to the next big thing. A milestone that gets lots of media attention may cause a temporary spike but it's generally never higher than when the player was in their prime. A lot of people tend to ask this question when a player is inducted to the HOF but it's generally very unnoticeable if at all. There are some exceptions, as someone just mentioned Griffey which I tend to hear a lot.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I agree it's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point that he is in the HOF and gets to 3k as well. But I also think Ichiro, depending on the news cycle, could actually get a lot of press and air time when his "professional" hits total passes Rose soon. Especially as it isn't talked about as much (but will be suddenly and with much debate) and as much of an ass as Rose has made himself into. If I could afford Ichiro stuff to begin with I'd buy quickly. All speculation of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
I recently bought an UD Griffey RC in beautiful shape for $20. I sold a 4 card lot of 3 fleer and 1 Donruss and got $13.00. So a little more I dumped the overproduced crap and got my favorite card from when I was 14 years old. I only have 2 in my collection but have wanted BGS and PSA 9'a tick up in recent weeks. I may pull the trigger when my eBay bucks come at the end of the month. I currently have $28....

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Great post! What he is doing now is amazing at age 42. Leadoff hitter Dee Gordon gets suspended for PED's, no problem, put the old man at the top of the lineup. Yeah, I can see his stuff get spikes up, when he gets to 3000 hits and when he goes into the HOF. But with the way he is playing now he might not go into the HOF until he's 50.

Members online

Latest posts