Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would You Rather...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Hey folks! It is time to play:

WOULD YOU RATHER?!

In this edition, the question is - Would you rather:

A) Have the best baseball card collection on the planet of your favorite player
--OR--
B) Have an iconic piece of your player's history

Example:

If it were for say Cal Ripken Jr., your choice would be an insane collection - lots of 1/1's, loads of autographs, etc. or his Rookie of the Year Award or maybe even his game worn jersey from game #2131 .

What would you rather? Explain the player and if you chose B, say the item & why.

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Best baseball card collection, by far.

Trophy is for the person that earned it, especially if still alive. I'd want Ripken to have it. Also a full collection of Ripken cards would be an awesome display, whereas the trophy is one piece.

If I was picking one piece of memorabilia from Ripken's career, it would be the uniform he wore for 2131.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Best baseball card collection, by far.

Trophy is for the person that earned it, especially if still alive. I'd want Ripken to have it. Also a full collection of Ripken cards would be an awesome display, whereas the trophy is one piece.

If I was picking one piece of memorabilia from Ripken's career, it would be the uniform he wore for 2131.

That was actually my first mention in the post and then I decided to change to his ROY award. I just updated the question to give that as a suggestion as well.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I dunno, but I can't wait to hear the story behind the question

I was just asked something similar a few years back. My initial answer was the memorabilia, but not anymore. I'd rather the collection :) I love cardboard too much!

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I'd rather meet my all time favorite player, get tons of autos from him and my story end up in an issue of Beckett, but that's a crazy dream that wouldn't happen for anyone :rolleyes:

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Guess Ill be the trend changer here. For me, its the memorabilia now. I have sold off my Cuddyer card collection, the cards sitting in binders did nothing for me anymore. I was glad that I could find others though that still enjoy the card collecting and I could move them onto them. Now my focus is 100% on game used items (use to be both cards an full GU). My GU stuff is all displayed in my sports room for me to see and enjoy daily. The cards use to sit in books and were never a talking point when people were over, the GU stuff always is.

Matthew J Burrows

Jun 7, 2016
Southeast Alaska
Great question! This makes me wonder what A-Rod's best Mariners card is. One may be one of the E-X Credentials #d to 2 or 3 I think. Maybe the true 1/1 Finest Masterpiece? Either way I would definitely take the collection too :)

Kid4hof03

Jan 10, 2014
Burlington, NJ
Sadly my answer is both. I have several player collections but when it comes to Gary Carter I collect anything and everything I can find and afford. Because of that I range from cards and magazines to game used items. I've gone back and forth and have sold some game used items at times trying to just concentrate on the others, I've also sold some cards thinking of just concentrating on game used. In the end, I won't ever afford something like his world series trophy or a record breaking bat but in the end, I can't just choose one way over the other.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Hey folks! It is time to play:

WOULD YOU RATHER?!

In this edition, the question is - Would you rather:

A) Have the best baseball card collection on the planet of your favorite player
--OR--
B) Have an iconic piece of your player's history

Example:

If it were for say Cal Ripken Jr., your choice would be an insane collection - lots of 1/1's, loads of autographs, etc. or his Rookie of the Year Award or maybe even his game worn jersey from game #2131 .

What would you rather? Explain the player and if you chose B, say the item & why.

While I'd love to have an awesome collection of Brooks Robinson cards, I'd personally prefer the award. As an example I think the ultimate for me would be Brooks' 1964 MVP award; what a cool display that would be (someone or a museum does own it now that he just donated the majority of his memorabilia). If it wasn't an award I'd also prefer the Norman Rockwell painting "Thanks Brooks"; doesn't get much better than that for me.

Why? I think the reasoning would be these items are one of a kind, only one in existence and represent the player very well. I can always start a collection of cards and establish a decent collection, but not with a one of a kind memorabilia piece. I also prefer to have the memorabilia items displayed.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Hmm, I'll stay with the card collection, if that included all the oddball stuff out there. With that said I own a few Clark pieces that I'd rank up there with some of his best memorabilia (Game worn 89 World Series Home Jersey and official 1986 RC contract). If I didn't own those already my answer may have been a lil different but as Brad said the one piece vs a lot of pieces leans towards cards.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'd rather have my collection. Bags won rookie of the year. I can't imagine owning the trophy. It would just sit around. People who came by would notice it. They'd ask what it is. I'd tell them. They'd ask why the hell I have that. I'd tell them I don't know. 😉

Members online

Latest posts