Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

David Ortiz is having the greatest final season in baseball history.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Big Papi is hitting .319 with 30 homers and 100 rbi at age 40.

He's leading the AL in doubles, plus both OPS and slugging % by a wide margin.

It's by far the best final season in modern MLB history among hitters.
(Koufax won the pitching triple crown in his last season, but was forced out by arthritis at age 30)

Do you think Ortiz will change his mind about retiring and play next year?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
He's been incredible. From what he's said it's injury/wear-and-tear that's really pushing him out. He's given no indication he's even second guessed the decision for a moment so I doubt it, but it would not be crazy, as he clearly can still play.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
If he came back next year and hit .260, 18 hrs and 72 rbis, he probably would be miserable at the choice. I think he's going out with a bang this year.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Legs aren't gonna let him come back next year, but money might be able to persuade those shaky knees.

I imagine the Sox have a plan to target another big, younger bat this off season. That said, I'd say 99.5% chance he won't be back.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
He stated (liberally quoting) "my feet are killing me, this is my last year"

I like the guy. Great personalities in the pro's are hard to come by these days and getting harder and harder as the years go by and the salaries skyrocket and instant social media becomes the norm. Wish him well and hope he plays well all the way till the end of the Boston's season

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
He gets asked that all the time. At the ASG they asked him on camera if he was really sure and he was definite. Anything can happen, but it'd be nice to see someone go out on top for a change where everything has apparently gone right. Who knows, if he came back for another year and struggle through an injury-plagued 100-game, 18-homer, .239 average season and the Sox miss the playoffs, people will say he should've quit after 2016.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I like Papi, but unless he hits a HR on his last AB, I'm still going to go with Teddy Ballgame. But it's easily the greatest final season in the last half century.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Something of a side note here, but they were talking about Jimmie Foxx tonight during the commentary of the Sox-Rays game since Papi is tied with Foxx right now at 534 HR for his career.

Foxx basically accomplished all his real totals in a short time period of about 12-13 years, won the MVP three times, and they highlighted one year when he was 25 y.o. (1932), which was insanely good:

.364 BA
58 HR
169 RBI
151 R
213 H
33 2B
9 3B
116 BB, 96 K
.469 OBP
.749 SLG
1.218 OPS
154 G
585 AB (702 PA)

Foxx led the league in seven offensive categories and won the AL MVP that year.

By the way, the next year he hit .356, slugged 48 HR, and drove in 163 runs and won the MVP again!

When he was 31, in 1938, he drove in 175 runs (no wonder he was nicknamed "The Beast") and won his final MVP.

Rafael Devers should be inspired by him, since he's the same size as Foxx was during his playing days: 6'0", 195 lbs.

Attachments

• 2012foxxface.jpg
    2012foxxface.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Members online