Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A Chrome Poll

Question is in the description

• The prices of the base product rise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The prices of the base product remain constant

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Question:

If there is a regular stock product with base set autos in circulation, then the company announces a "Chromed" version of the product to come out at a later date, what happens to the base entry level product?

What do you think. I'm not looking to raise the dead of old threads and ideas. I'm looking for a general opinion of these boards.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Assuming the company producing it is Topps, the answer is - absolutely nothing.

Any other company -- plummetsville.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
It is OK for Topps to release 3 different RC's of a player under the same same in 1 season:

Alex Gordon Bowman - Bowman Chrome RC
Alex Gordon Bowman Chrome Autograph RC
Alex Gordon BDP Bowman Chrome RC

Also, as a Tulowitzki collector...it was nice to hear that due to the GREAT RC rule that the MLBPA worked out with Topps...that Tulo would have 07 cards that would have the RC logo on it.

So for the rest of Tulo's career, when I type in Tulowitzki Bowman Chrome RC...I'll have 2 to choose from. How many uneducated collectors have an 07 BC Tulo "RC"?

Wes

OG
Administrator
Adamsince1981 said:
It is OK for Topps to release 3 different RC's of a player under the same same in 1 season:

Alex Gordon Bowman - Bowman Chrome RC
Alex Gordon Bowman Chrome Autograph RC
Alex Gordon BDP Bowman Chrome RC

Also, as a Tulowitzki collector...it was nice to hear that due to the GREAT RC rule that the MLBPA worked out with Topps...that Tulo would have 07 cards that would have the RC logo on it.

So for the rest of Tulo's career, when I type in Tulowitzki Bowman Chrome RC...I'll have 2 to choose from. How many uneducated collectors have an 07 BC Tulo "RC"?

Nobody condones that.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
moxacaine said:
are you talking exact same checklist autos and all for both products? one is chrome and one is base?

I am talking the exact same checklist. Just like the old days with base Bowman Chrome, but also the exact same autographed cards as well.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
I can't think of a Topps situation off the top of my head (base auto & chrome auto in the same year).

Betances had a SotF auto in '07, followed by a chrome auto but that's not really a good example. Most folks don't like the SotF autos. Counteracting that fact however, I think his SotF auto was short-printed (correct me if I'm wrong).

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Are you saying the later Chrome version would also be auto'd like the base. So as an example, Maybin's base Bowman RC was an auto, but then his Chrome wasn't. If it were, there's no doubt in my mind that a chrome auto in the same year would lower the base auto. But if there's just a pure chrome no auto, I don't think it does anything significant to the base auto.

Members online