Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Starting a new player collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Of all the aspects of collecting I pursue, collecting an active player is one of the most fun for me. You get to see the widest variety of cards, and, when collecting someone who has a good amount of notoriety, you always have something new to chase. So far, I've collected 2 players,Frank Thomas and Grady Sizemore, "to completion" (yes, I hear it). Thomas is obviously done, retired, and enshrined. Grady, while not officially retired, went this whole season without his number being called. I'm sure I'll continue to pick up Grady's stuff as it trickles out, and I still pick up Franks on occasion. But as of now I'm pretty much without a player. I'm more interested in baseball than I have been in the past few years, and there are a number of exciting new guys out there, with Mookie Betts, Max Kepler, and Maikel Franco topping my list. But nothing really piques my interest, and it feels like something is missing. Also, I'm about to turn 46, and I have to say the hero worship aspect of player collecting is wearing thin. I just don't get as excited about it anymore, and I don't feel the connection I used to. At least when players were my contemporaries in age, it felt OK, but chasing cards of guys 25 years younger than me feels weird. Anyone else feel that?

Anyway, I can't see myself becoming a completist collector like I was with Sizemore. I'll probably very selectively pick up the cards I like of the guys I like. For instance, I currently own 5 Franco cards, and 3 of them are #/5 or less. But the player collector in me may be done. At least for now. Maybe that next special guy will come along someday. (Yes, I hear it that, too.)

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I'm kind of in your boat. I'm 44, I don't view athletes as heroes or role models anymore, I still love the game, the Cubs doing well has me somewhat energized. I've always been a player collector type person, and a completist. For me, while at times tempted to start a new PC for a current player (would probably be Anthony Rizzo), I'm just not at all excited at the modern scene of low numbered parallels of expensive autographs and GU cards. Seems like every Topps product has 6 parallels of the same card design, and low numbered so that it's just an exercise in spending cash.

I'm much more into vintage these days. I'm turning my completist mentality into type collecting - getting one card from each vintage set, and PC'ing a few vintage players. I don't bust wax hardly at all anymore. Just better for me to spend my hobby dollars on a few vintage cards I know I'll enjoy than on new wax. I don't like how often new players switch teams, so that discourages me too. I probably won't start an active player PC. I did start a Vlad Guerrero collection a few years back - but limit it to tough refractors, GU, and autos of him buy only in Expos years. I find setting very specific limitations saves you the frustration of the "have to have it all" mindset and it's financial burden.

Guess it just comes down to the age old advice: Collect what you like and what makes you happy, don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I sold my whole Canseco collection and don't have it in me to ever collect another player or any cards for that matter but I enjoy watching the Red Sox as a team now more than ever! the young talent is really exciting and the future is bright.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I cant see me doing another player. I watched Bernie when he was in Albany ny. I was in a accident and on disability that summer so i must have seen like 20 games or so , Got to talk with him a few times. I had a bond and a interest in him doing well. Was fun watching him progress. I am older now 67 to be exact and a little hard for me to relate with the new kids coming up. Although there are some awesome players just seems past my time to start anew.

920x920_zpsxwaw6tfl.jpg

Last edited:

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
If I were to start another single player collection I personally wouldn't collect an active player. I'd likely start with a player that I enjoyed watching play or possibly one who was before my time. I've always enjoyed the defensive part of the game so I liked watching players like Bench, Ozzie, Aparicio and if a player I didn't watch maybe Traynor. I don't think I'll ever really start changing how I collect now, but who knows. If I had the expendable income I sure would delve into the hobby more often.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
No way I would start another player collection especially a new player just way too many variations and low numbered cards. It would pretty much be impossible to get them all. The 90's cards are hard enough if you don't get those 1 of 1's right away you will never see them again.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I don't foresee ever starting a new player collection, but if I did then it would probably be Corey Patterson

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
It has been 14 years since my guy took the field with a major league team. It is crazy to think about collecting a guy who is playing. When I first got back into collecting, I had an affinity for Pujols, but it just didn't stick ... and this was in his heyday. I don't think I'll ever collect another guy, though I could see myself starting a custom PC of someone who catches my eye :) It sure would be funny to bust out a massive collection to someone of nothing but cards that don't exist! I tried doing that before with some customs to a few people before, but it back-fired. They swore up and down they had the cards I had made when they were younger.

Members online