Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Looking for advice on new scanner.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I have Windows 10 on all of my computers. I have read about some issues of some scanners working with Windows 10. I currently have a HP Printer/scanner that I am not to fond off and I want to replace. I mainly want the scanner to scan the cards in my collection and to scan some cards I may want to sell. Also we have been meaning to archive a bunch of family photos and maybe the negatives we have as well.

It seems like the more I read the more I am not sure which one to get. I was thinking of something in the Epson or Canon line but I am leaning a bot more towards the Epson ones. I would really like to stay under the $200 price point as well.

So what do you guys use or recommend? I have had one person recommend a Canon one to me but I have always heard how good some of the Epson ones can do on cards. Thanks

Aug 16, 2016
Central Florida
I use a Canon PIXMA MG3620. I think the scanned images look great, and it's not expensive. Once you get used to their "my image garden" software it's simple. I had it on my old computer and it works seamlessly on my new one with Windows 10. It gets a ton of use my wife prints roughly 100 items a week and I scan a lot. The images in my photo galleries on my website are from the scanner. Hope this helps!

djmilhaus

Sep 8, 2014
Seattle
My Canon Pixma does a nice job, too (and is also on Win10). The software isn't great and takes some getting used to, as noted. Though not sure how it does on graded cards. There are two different scanner technologies and one does well on graded cards and another does not. So if you plan on scanning a lot of graded stuff, you'll want to look for something more specific. Here's info from another site:
Contact Image Sensor (CIS) vs Charge-Coupled Device (CCD). Basically, CIS can only focus on what is in direct contact with the scanner bed surface. And since a card inside a slab does not come in direct contact with the scanner bed surface it is "out of focus". I have some Beckett slabs that are 5/16" thick. Which means the actual card inside the slab ends up 1/8" above the surface of a scanner bed.

Food for thought.

Aug 16, 2016
Central Florida
My Canon Pixma does a nice job, too (and is also on Win10). The software isn't great and takes some getting used to, as noted. Though not sure how it does on graded cards. There are two different scanner technologies and one does well on graded cards and another does not. So if you plan on scanning a lot of graded stuff, you'll want to look for something more specific. Here's info from another site:
Contact Image Sensor (CIS) vs Charge-Coupled Device (CCD). Basically, CIS can only focus on what is in direct contact with the scanner bed surface. And since a card inside a slab does not come in direct contact with the scanner bed surface it is "out of focus". I have some Beckett slabs that are 5/16" thick. Which means the actual card inside the slab ends up 1/8" above the surface of a scanner bed.

Food for thought.

The before mentioned Canon doesn't scan graded cards or cards in thicker one touch's etc well at all. I found the app camscanner for my phone mentioned to me by mouschi. It works really good for graded, thick holders. It's not ideal using to two different methods but to my knowledge there isn't a scanner that can do both well.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
If you are going to buy a stand alone scanner, just get the Cannon. Should be able to find one over black friday for less than 200. It does everything well. I've had mine for over 2 years, and 10,000 + scans and it is still going strong. Before you buy an Epson make sure you look at the refractor jail bar effect it does. Everything here is scanned with the cannon www.iujapandercards.com

1251239_orig.jpg

6734115_orig.jpg

9232069_orig.jpg

4016044_orig.jpg

597603_orig.jpg

3807892_orig.jpg

5430492_orig.jpg

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
My Canon all-in-one died last year and I went through the same process. The model was MG8220 which had the CCD technology and scanned slabs really well. Unfortunately, I found there to be no newer Canon consumer all-in-ones that still use CCD. I settled on a Canon MX922 which has all the functionality I wanted from an all-in-one except for CCD. The scans, except for slabs, are really nice. And if I have a pile of slabs to scans I go back to an old trusty Canon stand alone scanner.

Members online