Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Marlins bringing back Ichiro, but get rid of Bonds.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Good to see Ichiro will be playing next season.
And the Barry Bonds experiment failed after one season.

ESPN - Outfielder Ichiro Suzuki is returning to the Miami Marlins, but they'll be without Barry Bonds as hitting coach.

The team announced Wednesday that it had exercised its 2017 option on Suzuki, for his third season in Miami.

Suzuki, 42, reached 3,000 hits this season, becoming the 30th player in major league history to do so, and finished with 3,030 hits. He also hit .291 in 143 games.

Also on Wednesday, the Marlins confirmed that they'd fired hitting coach Barry Bonds, third base coach Lenny Harris and bullpen coach Reid Cornelius.

Miami's offense suffered from inconsistency this season. The Marlins were 27th in majors in runs scored with 655.

Bonds was seen as standoffish with media and even teammates during his playing career, so he was a surprise selection as hitting coach for the Marlins.

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I was sort of surprised to see bonds go. I believe they had one of the higher batting averages in the NL. Their best hitter was hurt a portion of the year and it possibly affected him more than just his time on the DL. Having said that if he continued on as a coach like he was as a player than its easy to see why they canned him. I don't follow the marlins but I didn't see any stories of bonds being a tool this year. Interesting to see if he is picked up by another team.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I wonder if Ichiro would be a good hitting coach. Language aside (I don't know how good his English is now), I wonder if he could communicate the ideas that make him such a fabulous hitter and adapt them to each player.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I think Bonds getting fired had more to do with his personality than his performance. The guy obviously has a ton to offer young players as far as hitting.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
If you ask anyone except Ichiro, they will tell you he is pretty fluent in English. He uses a translator in interviews to make 100% he says what he means to say.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts