Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gavelsnipe bid blacked by eBay CAPTCHA?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I have always used gavelsnipe without any problems. Last night I had a snipe set on an auction that didn't go off, and when I looked on gavelsnipe it said "snipe not executed" "blocked by eBay CAPTCHA." It was a PWCC auction, and I know from reading on message boards that there has been some concern about shilling in their auctions. I also recall PWCC changing some procedures in an attempt to make sure shilling didn't take place. However, it seems to me sniping would potentially help combat shilling since max bids would realized until seconds before an auction ended. In the case of this card, I doubt I'm the only person who had a snipe blocked. There was no bidding activity over the last few minutes of the auction and the card went for less than it should have, at least in my opinion.

Has anyone else had this issue of snipe bids being blocked? Any idea if this is just a PWCC issue or maybe a gavelsnipe issue?

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Good call, I'll check there. And pin breaker is exactly right, I googled it and it said it's a program that makes sure you're human and not a computer.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Yeah, I've used those before...didn't realize that's what they were called. Was thinking it was something unique to Ebay.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Did some reading on message boards and found various complaints over the last two years. Seemed pretty random, buyers usually opined eBay was to blame trying to discourage sniping but nothing definitive I could find. Guess I'll keep sniping but not take a chance on more important cards. I'm just not a fan of putting in a max bid and letting it ride.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Did some reading on message boards and found various complaints over the last two years. Seemed pretty random, buyers usually opined eBay was to blame trying to discourage sniping but nothing definitive I could find. Guess I'll keep sniping but not take a chance on more important cards. I'm just not a fan of putting in a max bid and letting it ride.

I'm with you on this one. The last couple of years has been pretty bad where you see the same card ending minutes after what you're bidding on without any other bids and yet you pay your maximum bid on the one you bid on. I just don't bid if I'm not going to be home when a particular (card) auction ends. Sometimes I look at the completed listings and just laugh my disappointment because certain card(s) I wanted ended pretty cheap (in my opinion) and just think that that seller lost some money because of my fear of being shilled...

Minutes after I lost this to another bidder (232099849134), it was re-listed as (291903197706) by the same seller, just changed the title. This time, no other bidder and I won it. Coincidence? Maybe, but oh well, I wasn't going any higher than that anyway.

Members online