Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Minor League Team Names Reach An Alltime Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I want off this planet. Now.

Exit Zephyrs. Enter.....the Baby Cakes.

Help me.

Baby Cakes3.jpg

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Did a business pay the team for the name like how they do with stadiums? I know there are bakeries names "Baby Cakes."

It makes absolutely no sense why they'd be called that otherwise. The owner must have lost a bet or something.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
It actually makes perfect sense from a Louisiana standpoint. King Cakes, a Mardi Gras staple, always contains a plastic baby. If your piece has the baby, you have to buy the next cake.

They are paying homage to a local tradition.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
whatever sells merch. For El Paso, I hate "chihuahuas" because those dogs are not menacing but are rather used as taco bell meat! :p

I get why New Orleans changed the name (Zephyrs was a vestage of the franchise and not representative of New Orelans) but I have a feeling Baby Cakes won't be around more than a decade - sounds lame, people will get burnt out on the merch, and then New Orleans will figure out another nickname to pump up interest and merch sales in the team.

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
They are paying homage to a local tradition.

I prefer Quarters or something (something that could awesomely represent the french quarter).

Obviously couldn't go with Katrinas - too much hurt in the region from that hurricane.

Members online