Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Look, I know the economy is bad, but....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
....why do people make such idiotic offers on graded cards?

Example:

Raw blue refractors are selling between $45-65, with one awful listing ending for $30.

The offers I have gotten on BGS 9.5 copies of the same card? (in no particular order)

$30
$40
$60
$30
$45
$28

I mean, are people really that naive? Sorry, I just had to vent about this.

Wes

OG
Administrator
NECpilgrims8 said:

Example:

Raw blue refractors are selling between $45-65, with one awful listing ending for $30.

The offers I have gotten on BGS 9.5 copies of the same card? (in no particular order)

$30
$40
$60
$30
$45
$28

I think the reason is that people actually accept those on occasion. Also it could be that they are hoping to start a negotiation process of counteroffers. Without knowing exactly what card it is those offers, while low, do seem at least reasonable as far as the buyer being serious about wanting it.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I dont think the $60 offer was really that bad, i mean looking for a good deal, of course. Seemed like more of an offer that was looking for a counter

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:

Example:

$30
$40
$60
$30
$45
$28

As stated before, these offer's were made probably as a mean's to begin the negotiation process. The same could be asked as to why is it that seller's put such idiotic "Buy-It-Now" price's?...Probably because they "hope" that there will be that 1 Ebayer whom accept's the price, or they are throwing out a "high-ball" price so that when someone counter's it will be near what they really wanted & then they feel they can negotiate from that point to get to the intended SV. It's an overall idiotic "dance" that is played but everyone wants to feel like they're getting the big end of the stick & no one wants to feel like they've been had! :D

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
I have had a few nice cards up recently and lots and lots of really low offers. I think it has just as much to do with the economy as people looking for a steal. They still really want the card, just don't have as much money to spend as they used to.

Autismic

Aug 7, 2008
I Love Monsanto
NECpilgrims8 said:

Example:

$30
$40
$60
$30
$45
$28

Ask Cuomo

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
mredsox89 said:
I dont think the $60 offer was really that bad, i mean looking for a good deal, of course. Seemed like more of an offer that was looking for a counter

Yeah, I would think that SOME of these people were looking for a counter offer. When I offer below a price I would expect the card to go for, I expect a counter offer and I am not mad with denials. If you dont want the miniscule offers, set a bottom limit.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
LLWesMan said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

Example:

$30
$40
$60
$30
$45
$28

I think the reason is that people actually accept those on occasion. Also it could be that they are hoping to start a negotiation process of counteroffers. Without knowing exactly what card it is those offers, while low, do seem at least reasonable as far as the buyer being serious about wanting it.
You nailed it, I sent an offer on a Travis Snider Sterling auto for $20, and it was auto-accepted...I wasn't expecting anything just maybe a counter and what do I know, but I can understand how it's annoying.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
aw00d05 said:
LLWesMan said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

You nailed it, I sent an offer on a Travis Snider Sterling auto for $20, and it was auto-accepted...I wasn't expecting anything just maybe a counter and what do I know, but I can understand how it's annoying.

+1

I made a $4 offer this morning for a card that NEVER should have sold that low. The seller accepted it and sent me a very nice note along with the invoice.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
People bitching about offers they receive is quickly becoming my biggest Ebay pet peeve.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
I ALWAYS bid to win...I don't mess around with lowball offers and "negotiate" crap. If a card sells for $60...I will usually do an offer between $50 to $55+shipping. I try not to waste people's time as I hate it when people waste my time (yes, I know I can set a minimum but I like to see who offers what) with their "best" offers.

studioclint

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
Hey at least you have the best offer option on your items. I listed a bunch of stuff auction format and still got a bunch of lowball offers.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
One of my peeves with ebay is when people set a BIN of 3 times the going rate and have an automatic decline offer of 25% more of the going rate

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
Those are generous compared to what I get every day on high dollar items in my store. I can't even count the number of times I got an offer of $10 on a card that I have a BIN of $300+.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
I absolutely wont list any high end cards via BIN/BO without a minimum anymore. I actually received a $30 offer for my Price Super :lol:

Latest posts