Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where the crap did the Razor logo at the top go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
The time has come for razor to employ traditional public relations methods. They are adopting a system currently in place at other manufacturers and will distribute information through proper channels instead of on a message board. The relationship between FCB and Razor has not soured, however there will be some changes in the way information is handled. We will still maintain a relationship with Brian Gray and the razor company, however it will be one more in line with established industry standards.

There is a reason the larger manufacturers distribute information the way they do. We wish Razor the best of luck in their future endeavors.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
It was my understanding that the logo at the top was more for advertisement purposes than that of distributing information.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Glad you guys could come to terms in their release. Maybe they can get rebannered by TNA Wrestling.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
beefycheddar said:
Glad you guys could come to terms in their release.

Well to be fair, only 28 people have seen this thread so far and it's still early morning.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
I'm glad to see it. I wish them all the luck in the world and the grassroots marketing was only going to take them so far. Looks like they're positioning them selves to play with the big boys. Best of luck!

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Not that my opinion holds much weight in these prospecting discussions, but but I think move rubs me the wrong way. Brian came spent significant time both on these boards and on the BMB soliciting advice about his products, and engaged in lengthy discussions with multiple members concerning such issues. I don't believe that Razor Signature would have been nearly as successful or well received without both the promotion and the input from these boards.

It's been fairly obvious for some time now that Razor needed to have an increased sense of professionalism, whether it be the 'Happy prospecting' line, or other instances; however, it feels like a bit of a slap in the face to disassociate from FCB to this extent. I think there is certainly a balance that could be struck between pursuing a more professional, mainstream product and company, and still retaining the level of intimacy and familiarity that has drawn many here to support and purchase Razor products.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Good decision and for the right reasons.

First and foremost, the disassociation helps FCB due to the belief by some outside of FCB that FCB was Razor's board. Owned and managed by Razor or those closely associated.

It's also good for Razor as it allows them to "play like the big boys do" and sponsoring newsgroups is a "low rent" marketing tool.

Of course, what Chris isn't telling you is that due to the thousands of lost revenue dollars each month due to Razor pulling its logo, FCB members will have to pay $50/month for access.

Oh wait...it was only $500 for the 5 months? Scratch the idea above...everyone go about their business and daily routine.

Wes

OG
Administrator
cgilmo said:
The time has come for razor to employ traditional public relations methods. They are adopting a system currently in place at other manufacturers and will distribute information through proper channels instead of on a message board. The relationship between FCB and Razor has not soured, however there will be some changes in the way information is handled. We will still maintain a relationship with Brian Gray and the razor company, however it will be one more in line with established industry standards.

There is a reason the larger manufacturers distribute information the way they do. We wish Razor the best of luck in their future endeavors.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Does this have anything to d o with the Inkworks/eBay fiasco? Perhaps the need to distance from Razor because of it, or maybe Razor's need to restructure because of it.

I don't mean to overstep if I am by asking this, just something that popped into my head. And I definitely understand if an answer can't be given because of things having to be professional.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Card Magnet said:
Does this have anything to d o with the Inkworks/eBay fiasco? Perhaps the need to distance from Razor because of it, or maybe Razor's need to restructure because of it.

I don't mean to overstep if I am by asking this, just something that popped into my head. And I definitely understand if an answer can't be given because of things having to be professional.

Actually not directly, but rather indirectly. The inkworks incident taught razor that getting too close to any online community is a bad idea.

This step will also allow Razor more pub on other sports card websites. I believe strongly that FCB is the best of the independant hobby communities, but I would be an idiot if I thought we were the only game in town, and the only site that needed information and attention.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
He'll be back.

The one aspect I don't understand is that he says Razor is different. For the last several months he has done his best to imitate every other company. The first 2008 product was different because of exclusives but what is setting him apart now?

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Therion said:
He'll be back.

The one aspect I don't understand is that he says Razor is different. For the last several months he has done his best to imitate every other company. The first 2008 product was different because of exclusives but what is setting him apart now?
Speaking of different, is it me or did 08 Razor look like early 2000's Donruss Classics?

I did like that Razor had some interaction here with everyday users. I never saw Topps, UD, Donruss, etc. doing that. It kind of impressed me. I can understand their need to branch out. It would be nice to see them still spend some one on one time here.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I'm not so sure this is a good or bad thing. And furthermore, I fail to see how removing one's advert and direct association(s) with the forum that practicly created him is going to allow for less insight in to his dealings, good or bad. I personally think it's another immature and unprofessional attempt at releasing the moore lines to what was his stability, and in a round about way blaming the community and it's 'grass roots' for it's negative spotlight (if I am reading cgilmos post correctly)...

Actually not directly, but rather indirectly. The inkworks incident taught razor that getting too close to any online community is a bad idea.

I assume this means he thinks that if he were not close to us, then we would not have blew up his spot? I'm not sure how else this could be understood. Glad to see, once again, he is totally avoiding any personal blame and directing it off and on to something other than his action(s).

Personally, I'm glad to see him leave, and I do wish him well. But, understanding how you, and this community helped him, the least he could do if fly his flag atop of the FCB.

Or.... Did you want it to be gone?

Members online