Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sorting Technique?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Gotta sort a case by player. I've started, but I'm lookin for any tips if anyone has any strategies that they have found make the process go faster. Thanks

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
When I sort by player, I start by sorting by first letter of the last name. Once I get the alphabet separated, then I sort by player.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
sort into piles, all golds/base/chrome included, into piles or 1st chrome, futures game, and then rookie cards. then your sorting a three piles of 60 players or so, instead of 1 pile of 180. trust me it's easier to do that

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I'd sort them by # and then once you are done, take the list of people and their picks in excel and sort it by screen name, then by card #. Then go through and pull the cards out for each person who participated in the draft, pack and ship.

Sometimes if you throw them all up into the air first, some of them will come down in numerical order, but most won't, so this technique may or not be helpful. BLAHHA HA HA...!

ccolwell

Aug 7, 2008
NC
Pick 4 players and go through the whole case just looking for them. Start with guys like porcello, beckham, posey, montero so its easier at first.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
ccolwell said:
Pick 4 players and go through the whole case just looking for them. Start with guys like porcello, beckham, posey, montero so its easier at first.

Ha ha! We'll get our cards in 2012 with that method!

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Bill Menard said:
I'd sort them by # and then once you are done, take the list of people and their picks in excel and sort it by screen name, then by card #. Then go through and pull the cards out for each person who participated in the draft, pack and ship.

Bill's method is actually the most efficient. It's the one I employ with multiple case breaks. Since it was players that were drafted, I wouldn't worry about separating Bowman, Gold, and Chrome. Just flip the cards over and use the card number to sort into piles of 10.
1-9
10-19
20-29
etc.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
I sort a little different. I sort them out by the hundreds, then I sort by the number furthest to the right, then the second from the right.

Just an idea.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
tonsofcommons said:
I sort a little different. I sort them out by the hundreds, then I sort by the number furthest to the right, then the second from the right.

Just an idea.

oh yeah - if we are getting down to the details, I actually break draft down like this:

I. Draft Sorting
A. Green Border
1. #'s 1-9
2. #'s 10-19
3. #'s 20-29
4. #'s 30-39
5. #'s 40-49
6. #'s 50-55
Then I sort them by # for each grouping of 10 cards.
B. Blue Border
1. Number groups
a. #'s 1-49
i. #'s 1-9
ii. #'s 10-19
iii. #'s 20-29
iv. #'s 30-39
v. #'s 40-49
b. #'s 50-110
you get the point.
and then I sort all of these by # for each grouping of 10 cards.

Wow - this is too much detail, eh!

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
BowmanChromeAddict said:
Bill Menard said:

Bill's method is actually the most efficient. It's the one I employ with multiple case breaks. Since it was players that were drafted, I wouldn't worry about separating Bowman, Gold, and Chrome. Just flip the cards over and use the card number to sort into piles of 10.
1-9
10-19
20-29
etc.

Exactly what I would do alsooooo

skrip

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I just finished sorting 07 draft. I did it by teams. I like to do American league 1st with a few national league mixed in. I have 3 sorting trays that have 10 slots each.

For other products like 07 Elite Extra Edition, I sorted by numbers. Then once I am down to piles of 1-9, 10-19, 20-29, etc, I can easily pull 10 of #1 and so on.

I have found this to be the easiest way to sort a set that does not have a ton of cards.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Bill Menard said:
tonsofcommons said:

Just an idea.

oh yeah - if we are getting down to the details, I actually break draft down like this:

I. Draft Sorting
A. Green Border
1. #'s 1-9
2. #'s 10-19
3. #'s 20-29
4. #'s 30-39
5. #'s 40-49
6. #'s 50-55
Then I sort them by # for each grouping of 10 cards.
B. Blue Border
1. Number groups
a. #'s 1-49
i. #'s 1-9
ii. #'s 10-19
iii. #'s 20-29
iv. #'s 30-39
v. #'s 40-49
b. #'s 50-110
you get the point.
and then I sort all of these by # for each grouping of 10 cards.

Wow - this is too much detail, eh!

That is exactly how i sort when i break draft. Makes it very easy to create sets if you are going in that direction, but it still makes it very easy to sort the whole thing into players. I'm going to be getting a pretty decent package from ATH once its all sorted.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
just finished 50,000 different brands and years mostly 90's by team . after that in alpha order. i pull all a's ,angels astros at same time then to next three teams .

Members online

Latest posts