Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Enrique Hernandez

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I watched the entire Dodger game last night and was excited for "Kiki" Hernandez. What an amazing game. I had not watched a game live in a long time, maybe since last years NLCS and I didn't catch the full game for any of those last year. What a game to come back to, especially if you are a Dodgers fan (which I am).

Now, rewind a little bit. I have been collecting Dodger stuff for a long time and for the last 5+ years or more, have been trying to obtain all Dodger player signatures. My ideal item is a certified Dodger uniform card, followed by a non certified Dodger card, then certified non Dodger uniform card, Dodger image non certified, non Dodger image non certified and finally a cut or 3x5. I prefer to have at least one certified auto regardless of team pictured, so that is often my first or 2nd buy and if I can land that Dodger card, great.

Hernandez happened to have only 1 certified autograph, so after landing a Dodger TTM/IP card months back, I had been trying to secure that Donruss certified auto showing him as a Marlin. However, I wanted it at my price. It seems that for the longest time, only one seller had any and they were holding firm at around $12-15 on both eBay and COMC. I wanted it cheaper, after all he is basically a utility player. FINALLY, I saw one listed last week at auction format for a few bucks and the timing could not have been better, as it ended the morning of game 5! If this had been listed only a few hours later, things would have turned out much different. I won it for under $6 plus s/h. Hopefully I don't jinx myself here, as it has not arrived yet, but I trust the seller will follow through and I will have it shortly. I have no interest in flipping it, although smart money would say that is the best thing to do right now. I am just happy I got it when I did.

Now, I am posting this because I can't believe the insanity that is his cards right now. I looked back and besides my purchase, some lucky dog got one for $3 delivered before THE GAME! The rest have sold for a lot more, some for a very large amount. Most obviously sold during and right after the game. Now, there are multiples of the card up and a variety of prices, all high. And of course, Topps Now has issued a signed card in a Dodger uniform, but too rich for my blood. That will definitely add to the supply, because the demand is here right now. I don't know if any of the print runs have sold out already, but people are listing them for much more than Topps Now site cost. Do people really pay more through eBay when you can probably get one direct for less or are they just all gone already?

As I said originally, good for him on that game and I am glad he is experiencing a surge in his popularity, but enough collectors out there seem just a bit too "sheep like" for my taste. Someone does one popular thing and next thing you know, people are in line, blindly throwing money at the guy's stuff like he was Babe Ruth reincarnated!

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Yep, so many people threw money at Mike Trout after he had a good year.. Or how about Cody Bellinger..

I have been watching the Dodgers since the 70's since a kid that was one of the first to graduate from my high did halfway decent in the MLB..

Some kid named Ron Cey.. :)

Due to not having a major league up in Seattle, I followed the Dodgers thanks to the voice of Vin Scully and Joe Garagiola over the airways of am radio..

I have been picking up auto's of Kyle Seager and I was glad to see a dual auto of Corey and Kyle for a decent price..

Good luck with your collection..

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Bellinger had a heck of a rookie season. I missed getting his autograph, so I will wait it out until they flood the market and I obtain a less desirable version or his value softens, which is a better than not chance. I'd like to see him continue to play at that level either way.

Sure, sometimes those gambles pay off. I am not in it for the profit though, so this kind of buying looks foolish to me. My point was mainly though how those buying now "missed" their best opportunity and it simply took a record game to make people believe this guy will pay big dividends. It is an act that plays out over and over, some win, many more lose.

Yep, so many people threw money at Mike Trout after he had a good year.. Or how about Cody Bellinger..

I have been watching the Dodgers since the 70's since a kid that was one of the first to graduate from my high did halfway decent in the MLB..

Some kid named Ron Cey.. :)

Due to not having a major league up in Seattle, I followed the Dodgers thanks to the voice of Vin Scully and Joe Garagiola over the airways of am radio..

I have been picking up auto's of Kyle Seager and I was glad to see a dual auto of Corey and Kyle for a decent price..

Good luck with your collection..

Members online