Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone Buying any Upper Deck MMA?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Was wondering what people thought of it?

I have seen the pre-sell sheet a while back, and from what I remember, it looked pretty decent.

Anyone gonna check it out?

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I will certainly be looking to add some UD MMA to my collection. And the fact that MMA is taking off the way it is it might now be a bad idea to get a couple of sets for the future?

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Checklist looked VERY SOLID!!
I'm really excited! I pre-ordered 2 boxes and will have them on release, but won't be opening them until January...oh the agony!!

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008
i'll be the first to say i won't be buying any of them. while the checklist has many of the past greats, it is lacking many of the newer stars of the MMA world. i'm not sure how guys like koppenhaver, hazelett, stout, etc have cards whereas guys that are better and have been around longer don't. Rampage, Brock, Mir, Bisping, Griffin, Serra, Leben, Faber, Florian, and Guida were some of the more notables. An Evan Tanner tribute card would have been nice as well. probably was too close to print date when he died but you'd think he would have been in the base set anyway since he's a former champ and guys like severn, gracie, coleman, and Frye are in it. what?!?!?! no kimbo card? lmao!

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Ty Hope said:
All I want are autos from Wanderlei and Nogeira.

In the few MMA conversations we have had on these boards and the former, I knew that would be the case. Wandy seems to be very high on your list of favorites with Barnett and Fedor, and CroCop. I remember you being a huge pride fan.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
MojoDan said:
Ty Hope said:
All I want are autos from Wanderlei and Nogeira.

In the few MMA conversations we have had on these boards and the former, I knew that would be the case. Wandy seems to be very high on your list of favorites with Barnett and Fedor, and CroCop. I remember you being a huge pride fan.

Yeah, having lived in Japan for 15 years, I was a HUGE Pride fan. It was a shame that they self-destructed due to ties with the Yakuza...

Wandy and Nog have always been some of my favorites. I've also been lucky enough to become friends with Josh Barnett. Just hung out with him last week. Great guy and definetely a top 5 heavyweight.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I think people should remember that this is the initial MMA product.

It is not meant to have newer, more under the radar guys, its meant to have the names and faces we all know.

I bet the casual fan has no idea who Fedor Emelianenko is, and why he is important. The average fan doesnt know who Josh Barnett, Wanderlei or even Evan Tanner is, other than the Foxnews reports on his death.

Thats what this product is geared for, the casual fans, so, you had to put more past and present names, than the future names in it, otherwise, it wouldnt sell very well.

Im not saying it wouldnt be nice to have Fedor and guys like him in it, as I would love a Fedor auto, but, look at it from Upper Deck's perspective, they need a market first, and attracting the casual fan along with the hardcore fans is what they want, and will get.

This is the very first sole mma product made, there will be more, probably by february I'd guess, and then is when we should see some cool stuff coming out

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008
HPC said:
I think people should remember that this is the initial MMA product.

It is not meant to have newer, more under the radar guys, its meant to have the names and faces we all know.

I bet the casual fan has no idea who Fedor Emelianenko is, and why he is important. The average fan doesnt know who Josh Barnett, Wanderlei or even Evan Tanner is, other than the Foxnews reports on his death.

Thats what this product is geared for, the casual fans, so, you had to put more past and present names, than the future names in it, otherwise, it wouldnt sell very well.

Im not saying it wouldnt be nice to have Fedor and guys like him in it, as I would love a Fedor auto, but, look at it from Upper Deck's perspective, they need a market first, and attracting the casual fan along with the hardcore fans is what they want, and will get.

This is the very first sole mma product made, there will be more, probably by february I'd guess, and then is when we should see some cool stuff coming out

you might have been able to say that a few years ago but that's a pretty big stretch now. there's been more Yahoo stories on Fedor in the past months than anyone with maybe the exception of Rampage (his road rage) or Kimbo. Having Jon "war machine" Koppenhaver and Dustin Hazelet in the set and omitting any of the guys i named is pretty crazy. The common newer fan is going to know a guy like Tanner over Severn since he just fought Kendall Grove a few months ago. Plus Griffin and Lesnar are 2 of the biggest money draws in MMA today so to omit them is pretty huge.

Members online

Latest posts