Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1911 M116 Sporting Life mailday.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Back in the day you would subscribe to Sporting Life magazine and in it was a coupon that you sent in and asked for a certain player from the list and they would send you an M116. Thankfully we have ebay nowadays to obtain these but they are still pretty tough to find.All of the cards have a pastel version, with 24 having blue background variations that are rarer and more sought after than the pastel versions. They are much rarer than T206s [and IMO much nicer] but they do not sell for quite as much, a very underapprecaited set. There are two major shortprints in the set, they usually did not reissue a card after a player has switched teams but they did make two exceptions - The Amby McConnell "Chicago" version (Has sold for $25,000) and the George McQuillan "Cincinnati" version (Has sold for $5,000). A handful of those are known to exist. There are three back variations with the 300 subjects and black back being the more SPed.

Now that you guys have a bit of a background on the set some of you might know I am attempting for the Red Sox team set, and I am always looking for more [that I can afford :oops: ]. I have 4 right now, and would like to get to 10 Red Sox by the end of the year so keep an eye out. :)

This one was an impulse buy $25 dlvd.....600 W% and 2 20 game winner...He set a ML record by winning the first 12 decisions of his career, a record he shares with reliever Butch Metzger.

Hooks Wiltse

1911m116hookswiltse.jpg

It is for trade/sale if by any chance someone might be interested in adding one to their collection. Very nice color on this one!

And I got this one in also....my 4th Red Sox. This one looks fantastic in person and is graded SGC A because of the slight top border trim that isnt very noticable. Charley Hall was one of the Red Sox best RPs and was a solid SP too, and never had a losing season with the Sox. Enough chatting, here it is!

1911m116hallfront.jpg
1911m116hallback.jpg
:D

I'm sure a lot of you guys saw my T206 Heinie Wagner pickup already, I'll scan that one next weekend when I'm home. And I am going to have a reallyy nice pickup tomorrow so keep an eye out next weekend for an awesome mailday post!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for looking,
-Scott

PS - new sig!

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
Re: Here's a first for me...check out my SUPER awesome mailday!!

Nice SUPER cards.....they look SUPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN

Great pick ups bud! I may be interested in the Wiltse. Very nice vintage card. It might look good in my collection. ;)

Nice new sig. I always like seeing the vintage maildays.

Joe

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

muskiesfan said:
Great pick ups bud! I may be interested in the Wiltse. Very nice vintage card. It might look good in my collection. ;)

Nice new sig. I always like seeing the vintage maildays.

Joe
Thank you Joe. :)
And shoot me a pm, I'm sure we could work something out!

And thank you shanks....I love my SUPER neat cards. ;)

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008

Great cards! I've always loved this set, here is one of mine:
m116-1.jpg

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
very nice addition Scotty and thanks for the background info. it was very informative. good luck completing the Red Sox team set.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
MaineMule said:
....jeez Scotty, you're giving us old timers history lessons here......nice p/u and good luck with the rest of the Boston Americans! ;)
Hah! I thought I would give a little background info because I'm sure a lot of members on here don't know too much about the old cards. ;)
Thanks Scott!!

Mozzie22 - Thanks! And yours is a beauty! :eek: SGC 88/8?! WOW!!! And he played on the Red Sox for one season, pretty cool!

pghbuccos - Thanks a lot!! :) I was hoping someone would read the background on the set haha! Hopefully I can pickup a few more this summer, sadly the Red Sox don't show up too often! Here is a link to the checklist for the set, if you click on "Teams" in blue at the top then it sorts the set by team.

LINK

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Cool pickups Scott. Especially the one for only $25. That's awesome.
The guy that owns my local shop has the entire set, except for the 2 sp's. He just finished it a month or two ago.
I can't wait for your next mailday buddy.

70Chip

Aug 7, 2008
Great info Scotty, I admit I didn't know the background of the set. Good luck with completing the Red Sox set. I'll keep my eyes open if I happen to run across any of them. They are a great looking set and the SGC holder REALLY accentuates their eye appeal.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
rebelpawn said:
Cool pickups Scott. Especially the one for only $25. That's awesome.
The guy that owns my local shop has the entire set, except for the 2 sp's. He just finished it a month or two ago.
I can't wait for your next mailday buddy.
Thanks James!!
And he has the whole set minus the 2?! :shock: :shock:
Does he have pictures of it and have you seen it?!!? Would love to see it if he has a bucket or site or whatever..

70Chip - Thanks bud! Appreciate you keeping an eye out for them...and yes, they look great in SGC slabs. :)

jay1065 - Ha!! Good one Jay, I had forgot that was his nickname. Thanks! [And pm comming in a minute]

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
I'll as him Scott, I'm not sure if he has scans or not, I'll ask him. I haven't seen it but he said he's been working on it for a long time....

Members online

Latest posts