Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Setting up at my first show Sunday, suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I know there are dozens of these threads deep in the bowels of this fine board, but I haven't seen one in a while, so I was hoping for some quick input.

I'm going small: 1 table, mostly baseball. I'll be putting all of my tradebait out there, plus doubles I have of Brewers and pretty much my whole Rickie Weeks collection (hoping to capitalize on his good spring).

Any other thoughts? I'm gonna get a big divided box and then put a bunch of my better stuff under Plexi. The box will just have a bunch of lower-end inserts, GU and autos.

Anything else? I had to bite it and buy a Beckett, since that's what most everyone uses.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Brewer Andy said:
Madison? Good luck, I may have to drop by

Yep, at the Crowne Plaza. I'll be the bald guy with glasses and a bunch of cards under a piece of Plexi-glass :) it's cheaper than tracking down a display case.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
predatorkj said:
hive17 said:
Anything else? I had to bite it and buy a Beckett, since that's what most everyone uses.

Wait...do what?

Not that I prefer it, but most people at this show are accustomed to the dealers just reaching for a Beckett, so I thought I should have one too.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
hive17 said:
predatorkj said:
hive17 said:

Wait...do what?

Not that I prefer it, but most people at this show are accustomed to the dealers just reaching for a Beckett, so I thought I should have one too.

If you know the ebay values of your cards you don't need a Beckett.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
BrewerSuperCollector said:
hive17 said:
predatorkj said:
hive17 said:

Wait...do what?

If you know the ebay values of your cards you don't need a Beckett.

Yeah but who uses ebay? :lol:

beckett is the best way to get your price out there. let people know you will negotiate (if you will) and you will be fine. why would you start at ebay price if most customers want to negotiate? here at the nebraska and iowa shows everythings price is beckett based. which can be good for the educated customer. ummm as for advice dont take wooden nickels, shower the day before and day of. good luck!

trcardcollector

Aug 9, 2008
notjomommasclint said:
beckett is the best way to get your price out there. let people know you will negotiate (if you will) and you will be fine. why would you start at ebay price if most customers want to negotiate? here at the nebraska and iowa shows everythings price is beckett based. which can be good for the educated customer. ummm as for advice dont take wooden nickels, shower the day before and day of. good luck!

where are you at? I'm a little ways west of Lincoln...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
notjomommasclint said:

I agree.This was mentioned at length the other day in the thread about what has the most hype and general influence on cards in general.I thought I was in the minority but apparently I am not.

trcardcollector said:
notjomommasclint said:

where are you at? I'm a little ways west of Lincoln...

i am from plattsmouth (12 miles south of omaha) but my wife and i live in crescent ia (yes the ski capitol of iowa!) i just went into the stores in lincoln last week for the first time... i spent most of the day at playball and then went to wes's.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
hive17 said:
I know there are dozens of these threads deep in the bowels of this fine board, but I haven't seen one in a while, so I was hoping for some quick input.

I'm going small: 1 table, mostly baseball. I'll be putting all of my tradebait out there, plus doubles I have of Brewers and pretty much my whole Rickie Weeks collection (hoping to capitalize on his good spring).

Any other thoughts? I'm gonna get a big divided box and then put a bunch of my better stuff under Plexi. The box will just have a bunch of lower-end inserts, GU and autos.

In all honesty and the joking aside, I would just say for you to bring some cards that you can do bargains on and also make sure they are not too high dollar.Nothing turns me away more than going up to a table just to see $100 or higher price tags on everything.I am not blowing my money at one table.People like good deals and cards that are not too high dollar.Every now and again you may sell some higher end stuff but everyone I have ever talked to or encountered at a show is looking for deals.Not something they can get everywhere else.

I'm sure you already know this but, bring lots of singles and small bills to make change. I hated when I tried to buy $1 and $2 cards and none of the dealers would have change for a $20.

Paper bags are also very useful if you have a bargain bin and people buy a handfull of cards.

I would also recommend a calculator as well as a pen and pad or business cards if you have any in case you might have something that someone needs that you didn't bring with you to the show.

And lastly, FCB flyers to promote the site. Gilmo would love that.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
i always take 50 $1's and 50 in fives . expect to sell the deals on $1.00 items . i price items between ebay and beckett on inserts .
have fun ,keep notes for next show ,take drinks .

Mamunrud

Aug 14, 2008
Dubuque, Iowa
hey man, I was going to go to the show to join you in the fun but the snow warnings we're getting will likely keep me home and comfy warm inside. Good luck with the sales and have fun.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
Good Luck... most shows in Madison stink.... I am waiting for the next one at the Labor Union on April 19th and will most likely set up there for the first time in a year...

You have Brewer stuff ...so people will be looking for that but dont expect anyone to pay a premium for anything. The only time I say people get in a frenzy was when Ryan Braun got called up and I was selling Bowman Chrome Blue Refractors for $250.. most people there like the cheap stuff...very cheap stuff commons or cheap game used

again good luck

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
You're probably out the door already, but I'll throw in my tips...

Have a $1.00 box. Put some GU and autos in there, since some will sell for about that on eBay anyway. Treasure hunters can't resist a $1. box.

Greet kids. Be friendly, ask them about their favorite team or player, and they are more likely to come back with thier mom or dad (who has the cash!)

Smile a lot. If you look bored, no one will be interested in your cards, no matter how great they are.

Have fun and good luck! Are you guys getting much snow today? We should have about 1-2 inches in Eau Claire.

Members online