Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Finding out a 1/1 is NOT a true 1/1.... and owning both of the SAME EXACT 1/1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Mourmelon le Grand, France
The title says it all really....
Several years ago I bought a 1/1 Black Printing Plate of Chris Young for my PC (2008 Topps Milestones). The card is pictured here with the others to complete the set:

Young08ToppsMMplates.jpg

Well.... fast forward to early 2018 and while searching for some Chris Young 1/1s, I find this card on COMC:

20180726_112955.jpg 20180726_113001.jpg

I send them a message asking "what's up?"... since I already own that card and have it in hand. (I was not accusing anybody or anything just very surprised and made that clear in my message). I got a great response from them saying that card companies use several plates when printing sets.... well, I can fully understand that since so many cards are printed out.

I have a hard time understanding why 2 got out on the market since they are supposed to be 1/1s.

I received the 2nd one in the mail this morning.
Here they are side by side... I hope I never find a 3rd one.

20180726_113023.jpg 20180726_113036.jpg

The pictures are a bit small but I assure you, they are indentical. The wear on the plates is slightly different that's about all...

Does anyone else have 2 "exact same 1/1s"?

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I think it is just that set and the insanity that it is.

There are technically 32 versions of that Chris Young Milestones and Moments card and the only difference between them is the foil on the front. It wouldn't surprise me if there were 32 1/1 printing plates out there, one for each version, even though the printing plates has zero to do with the foil. I doubt there are that many out there but I could see if being possible with Topps being Topps.

Last edited:

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
I think it is just that set and the insanity that it is.

There are technically 32 versions of that Chris Young Milestones and Moments card and the only difference between them is the foil on the front. It wouldn't surprise me if there were 32 1/1 printing plates out there, one for each version, even though the printing plates has zero to do with the foil. I doubt there are that many out there but I could see if being possible with Topps being Topps.
This would kill me... seriously. I've been trying to get all 32 cards in all 4 variations (base, black /25, blue/10 and red 1/1) plus de plates. If I have to deal with that many plates now I'd die, especially since the cards don't show up very often.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
This would kill me... seriously. I've been trying to get all 32 cards in all 4 variations (base, black /25, blue/10 and red 1/1) plus de plates. If I have to deal with that many plates now I'd die, especially since the cards don't show up very often.

I wouldn't say for sure that is the case but it wouldn't surprise me either to see multiple plates out there in all four colors all labeled 1/1. Technically, thanks to the nature of that set, it isn't untruthful even though as you noted the plates are exactly the same.

For me, I'd be happy with one set of plates since they are exactly the same.

It could always be worse I guess. I'm trying to do the whole run for Matt Holliday, minus the 1/1 Reds, and he has two cards in the set. One is a run of 50 which isn't totally awful but the other is a run of 216.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Ouch... good luck with that. I already find 32 a pain since they rarely show up on the bay or elsewhere so I can't imagine 50 yet alone 216. That's going to be amazing when you finish it!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I wonder if there are 4 sets for each player. Since there were the white border, blue border, black border and red border for each player. Given that your plates have an empty space for the foil imprint, I doubt there were 32 different made. But there would have been different plates for each of the border types. I know the plate cards are framed, but look closely at the top, left and right borders and see if one of them has some dots very close to the frame, where the border color extended. Only problem is you have two black plates, and if it was red or blue border version, it may not have had black dots in that CMYK mix. Two red plates next to each other might prove the border theory.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Ouch... good luck with that. I already find 32 a pain since they rarely show up on the bay or elsewhere so I can't imagine 50 yet alone 216. That's going to be amazing when you finish it!
I have the cards in my hand right now and I see absolutely nothing that distinguishes them.... and no dots whatsoever. The one I received this morning is a bit darker than the one I already owned but that's about it.
Last but not least, there is 1 difference: the code on the 1/1 stamp:
20180726_162521.jpg

Well, if there are more out there... the hunt is on.

Still wondering if anyone here has seen or own this kind of "oddity".

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
When trying to complete a rainbow of a player, I try and get all colors serial numbers if possible and the 1/1. But if the 1/1 is a plate, especially if 4 colors, I just stop at the /5. I’m satisfied with that. Now reading your story I am glad I have already made that decision. Because that is a frustration I wouldn’t want to have. On the positive side at least you saw the stamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
This is the set where I pulled two cards that were serial #d higher than the actual print run (One was #d 26/25 and the other 51/50). I sold them for a HUGE premium so I wasn't complaining.

That probably has nothing to do with your situation but I thought it was interesting.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
This is the set where I pulled two cards that were serial #d higher than the actual print run (One was #d 26/25 and the other 51/50). I sold them for a HUGE premium so I wasn't complaining.

That probably has nothing to do with your situation but I thought it was interesting.

LOL... so basically Topps may have screwed up some more with this set. I'm still wondering if certain cards even exist... I'm missing one of the non serial numbered base cards that I have NEVER seen anywhere on-line... more than 1 of the same 1/1s, serial numbered higher than the print run... incredible quality control.

Well... I guess only time (and help from other player collectors or set collectors) will tell.
Cool that you got a premium for those. What player(s) was it?

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma

Yeah. I've only tracked down a few of the /150 versions. I've been trying to find some boxes of it but without much luck.

I don't know what was up in 2008 but M&M and UD Documentary have to be two of the worst sets for player collectors ever.

Thank God I don't collect Alex Rodriguez. His card #1 from M&M has 518 variations. That's just stupid.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Totally agree .... ridiculous.
UD documentary is indeed a pain as well and not a nice set either.
Finding boxes is impossible... I gave up long ago... just looking for singles but never seem to see anything I need.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
LOL... so basically Topps may have screwed up some more with this set. I'm still wondering if certain cards even exist... I'm missing one of the non serial numbered base cards that I have NEVER seen anywhere on-line... more than 1 of the same 1/1s, serial numbered higher than the print run... incredible quality control.

Well... I guess only time (and help from other player collectors or set collectors) will tell.
Cool that you got a premium for those. What player(s) was it?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the cards were missing or misprinted. This thing is a print run nightmare.

Even someone like Young who only has 32 variations has a little over 10,000 cards out there when you consider all four parallels. ARod has 77,700 cards with all the parallels for card #1 and about 10,000 for card #2 so almost 90,000 cards out there just for ARod. That's a lot of possibility for misprinting, skipping, human error, you name it.

I wonder if there are 4 sets for each player. Since there were the white border, blue border, black border and red border for each player. Given that your plates have an empty space for the foil imprint, I doubt there were 32 different made. But there would have been different plates for each of the border types. I know the plate cards are framed, but look closely at the top, left and right borders and see if one of them has some dots very close to the frame, where the border color extended. Only problem is you have two black plates, and if it was red or blue border version, it may not have had black dots in that CMYK mix. Two red plates next to each other might prove the border theory.

I hadn't thought about that possibility but it makes a lot of sense.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
2014 Topps Allen & Ginters mini mini Mariano Rivera. Shown with the Glossy 1/1 and mini wood 1/1.

2014 TOPPS A&G 1 OF 1'S 1.jpg
2014 TOPPS A&G 1 OF 1'S 2.jpg

Scott F

Dec 4, 2008
Totally agree .... ridiculous.
UD documentary is indeed a pain as well and not a nice set either.
Finding boxes is impossible... I gave up long ago... just looking for singles but never seem to see anything I need.

There is an ebay seller with Documentary AND Documentary Gold Team Sets. The base sets were really reasonable (I picked up the Braves full team set run for something like $15). The Golds are pricey - $250 for the Braves full set. But he has a BO on so I bet he will take a 20-30% haircut at minimum. Timed with an ebay promo could make it viable. Lots of other teams left too. Have to look for the team, not your player.

Moments & Milestones is just brutal. Chipper Jones has a similarly high count to Arod for his 2007 M&M run. Probably around 500+ for each of the White #/150 and Black #/29. I am maybe 60% complete with the 2007 Whites. Maybe 10% on the Blacks. Tough set! Also working on the Documentary Golds passively, about 25% complete there. Usually pretty cheap though, when I can find them.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
There is an ebay seller with Documentary AND Documentary Gold Team Sets. The base sets were really reasonable (I picked up the Braves full team set run for something like $15). The Golds are pricey - $250 for the Braves full set. But he has a BO on so I bet he will take a 20-30% haircut at minimum. Timed with an ebay promo could make it viable. Lots of other teams left too. Have to look for the team, not your player.

Moments & Milestones is just brutal. Chipper Jones has a similarly high count to Arod for his 2007 M&M run. Probably around 500+ for each of the White #/150 and Black #/29. I am maybe 60% complete with the 2007 Whites. Maybe 10% on the Blacks. Tough set! Also working on the Documentary Golds passively, about 25% complete there. Usually pretty cheap though, when I can find them.

I have a lot of UD Documentary cards. Email me with your player if you want.

Members online

Latest posts