Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Andrew McCutchen Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Love the flag in background and based on what I’ve seen of your collection over the last while, I’m sure this will be a lot of fun!

Wanted to just check if you were still interested in the Cutch 1st career homerun lineup card?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Jul 12, 2017
Love the flag in background and based on what I’ve seen of your collection over the last while, I’m sure this will be a lot of fun!

Wanted to just check if you were still interested in the Cutch 1st career homerun lineup card?

I'm absolutely interested in it, but had a bit of a collector wakeup call midsummer. I've got the itch again, but the holidays are here so if I were to make a push to afford it, it won't be until 2019.

Sent from my VS996 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I'm absolutely interested in it, but had a bit of a collector wakeup call midsummer. I've got the itch again, but the holidays are here so if I were to make a push to afford it, it won't be until 2019.

Sounds good. With it or without it your collection is killer. At the same time, I can’t think of a better place for it!

cardcop05

Nov 15, 2018
NYC
My opinion:

It's way too risky to invest in individual players anymore. They get paid so much that they retire whenever they feel like it, ignoring career stats completely.
No more steroids (even for medical use), so far more career ending injuries. They can't even drink Red Bull for crying out loud. MLB did TOO MUCH/TOO LATE!

Jul 12, 2017
My opinion:

It's way too risky to invest in individual players anymore. They get paid so much that they retire whenever they feel like it, ignoring career stats completely.
No more steroids (even for medical use), so far more career ending injuries. They can't even drink Red Bull for crying out loud. MLB did TOO MUCH/TOO LATE!
I don't collect my favorite player as an investment. I COLLECT as a HOBBY, albeit an expensive one.

If Cutch were to retire today, I can safely say he was
1)my favorite player
2) the best Pittsburgh Pirate of my generation

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I don't collect my favorite player as an investment. I COLLECT as a HOBBY, albeit an expensive one.

If Cutch were to retire today, I can safely say he was
1)my favorite player
2) the best Pittsburgh Pirate of my generation

It’s ok, you can also tell him that no one asked for his opinion on your thread anyway ;)

Jul 12, 2017
It’s ok, you can also tell him that no one asked for his opinion on your thread anyway ;)

I value the opinion, but why as collctors of cardboard should we get pissed off if a player retires before they log 22 years in the league like Harold Baines did.

If Cutch chooses to retire after his Phillies contract plays out and he has 299HR and 1,999 career hits I wouldn't think any differently of the dude.

EVERYTIME I met him in person, he was an absolute class act in every sense of the word. Those stats don't transcribe to the back of his card, but create far better memories than if a player had a 10, 12, 16, or 22 year career.

And for the record, its not my thread. It can be for anyone with a cool Cutch card or story to use as a means to discuss all things Cutch.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I'm usually not a booklet fan, but that is ridiculous, nice get, congrats.

Agreed. One of the nicest booklets I've ever seen.

And to the OP, from everything I have heard (from other sources and interviews with Cutch) he's a class act who is not caught up in his own stardom but appreciates the difference he can make due to his fame and finances.

cardcop05

Nov 15, 2018
NYC
I value the opinion, but why as collctors of cardboard should we get pissed off if a player retires before they log 22 years in the league like Harold Baines did.

If Cutch chooses to retire after his Phillies contract plays out and he has 299HR and 1,999 career hits I wouldn't think any differently of the dude.

EVERYTIME I met him in person, he was an absolute class act in every sense of the word. Those stats don't transcribe to the back of his card, but create far better memories than if a player had a 10, 12, 16, or 22 year career.

And for the record, its not my thread. It can be for anyone with a cool Cutch card or story to use as a means to discuss all things Cutch.

Thank you CollectingCutch, YOU ARE A CLASS ACT! I truly understand where you are coming from and respect your position 100%. I collected Gary Carter stuff that NO ONE ever thought would be worth anywhere near what I paid for certain things. I never thought he'd make the HOF either, then I got a shock on MY BIRTHDAY in 2003 when he was voted in! But these were MY CARDS, and I didn't care what they were worth and I still have every one. Those will never be for sale.

But drastic life changes can occur when we least expect them. I still can't see paying HUGE prices for rare cards of minor stars or common players. I personally hit the lowest point in my life in late 2001 that only continued to get lower and will until I die. So I NEEDED to sell certain cards in my collection to pay bills to keep a roof over my head. I honestly hope this never happens to anyone. However, it was necessary to have a safely net- that saved me. If I put all my eggs in one basket, I would be homeless (again) like I was when Playoff took every card I owned and never returned anything but commons. My own father sold cards that were EVIDENCE against Playoff behind my back which caused Playoff to think I "stole" cards which I did not. I was given a lot of cards to donate that were in their industrial shredder to be destroyed. The rest was evidence against Playoff's President Larry Blackwell for stealing cards from my departement for YEARS until I got there and tried to stop him. The safest place for these cards I thought was sealed in boxes at my father's house. HE WAS OPENING BOXES THE DAY HE RECEIVED THEM AND HE WAS TOO DUMB TO REALIZE HE WAS SELLING CARDS PLAYOFF DIDN'T RELEASE YET, AND SOLD TWO 2001 ELITE DREW BREES RC Autographs (only /50 of each made) to the SAME DEALER at the same card show???

My father abandoned me with my mentally ill mother when I was 18-months old. Then when I was 14, my father made me travel through Times Square from Queens, NY to Jersey City, NJ to visit him because I was so starved for a normal family member (I came from a very small family, and was the only child OF an only child). He turned out to be far from normal, but he was so much better than my mother. So we became nothing more than friends. Then he lost his career in the Trucking Industry by 1996, so I taught him the sports card hobby which became his job until 2013, he died in 2015. My mother didn't listen to any of her doctor's once she got Alzheimer's in 2010, so she had two falls on her head two days in a row with the 2nd fall making her catatonic. That was the END of all of my family members and I got stuck with my mother's gambling loans on "our" house. So on top of suddenly sharing the bills, I had to pay them all & house taxes/insurance & gambling loan interest.

Yet I still fight hobby fraud for ALL collectors which I started doing in 1991. Those who bad mouth me either have no idea what they are talking about, or have talked to people I've BUSTED for hurting all collectors and believed their BS! All you have to do is CONTACT ME DIRECTLY anytime and I'll discuss anything you have concerns about or anything about hobby fraud that still exists and how to stop it. I still give free opinions of autographs as well as I'm a fully trained Forensic Document Examiner since 1999, but I've only ever done it FOR FREE to help the hobby.

If what I do ANGERS anyone, they are doing something ILLEGAL or morally wrong in this hobby and are afraid I'll go after them, or I already have. It's quite simple really, then there's the sheep who know absolutely nothing about me and made vicious comments just to feel "part of the group". Just know as long as I can still breath and my mind still works I will fight hobby fraud for FREE for everyone. I don't care for accolades or even if anyone knows what I'm doing. Just know I'm doing the RIGHT THING for the RIGHT REASONS.

I wish you all the best in this hobby, but it needs to be far better.

Members online